Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Training Log: Entry 369

Trained a ROTC cadet in some boxing after that trainwreck of a self defense class taught to us by some Shoto guy from JKA.  Reverse punch, kiai!  I can't believe I used to believe in that crap. 

Managed to finally throw a decent left hook in sparring.  Threw it a couple of times.  Stop turtling when the pressure is put on.  Fire back, move out to the side, counter, do something.  Just wish my partner had some more meat on him so that I could hit with a little more force.  Still, glad he's getting better.

Bench press of 225
5X5

Notes: Despite having not benched for 6 weeks, the form was perfect on this.  The bar had to travel a shorter distance than usual though.  I suppose that ribcage expansion actually worked.  My fiancee said my chest looks a lot broader on bench than usual.

Powerlifting style below parallel squats of 300
5X5

Notes: Wow, total culture shock after the 20 reps.  My first set felt so foreign and alien.  Breathing was all wrong, form as jacked up, nervous as hell, etc.  After that though, sets of the best squats I've ever done.  Wasn't going ATG, but deeper than parallel, with a pause on every rep.  Knees traveled in slightly, but weren't buckling.  Really drove through on the heels.  Try not to come forward.

Pull-ups of bodyweight
5,5,5,3,3

Notes: And so we start anew.  Form was nice and tight.

Weighing in at 199.  Cutting too fast.  Up food intake.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to know the 20 rep squat routine worked so well for you. But it sure feels good to start something new, eh? Btw, Heiko and I have decided to start up our own training logs on Monday, so be sure to check them out. Catch you later, bro.
    -Gurada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, going that 1-2 extra inch down really makes a huge difference

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems like your realizing the more you get to fight and train that some of the stuff taught in martial arts classes is mostly useless. A lot of the stuff seems more stylish then effective. Too bad really cuz i like a lot of the stylistic stuff. Probably why i like games like Tekken and Soul Calibur and what not. Glad your continuing to improve. Ribcage expansion? Not sure exactly what that is, but sounds painful, i get the image of an extremely invasive surgical procedure, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, the rib cage expansion was during an intense weight lifting program I was on.  After doing 20 reps of squats with at least 3 very deep breaths in between each rep, I'd lay down on a bench and perform an exercise designed to enlarge the ribcage.  I had my speculations, but it seems to have worked.
    Glad to see you're still alive Mike.

    ReplyDelete