Thursday, March 1, 2007

Training Log: Entry 370

Good day at MMA today.  Did the knife sparring to warm up a bit.  Did some fun mixed sparring.  Partner wore shin guards and 7oz MMA gloves.  I wore 16oz boxing gloves.  He could punch and kick, I could only box and check kicks.  Did 2 rounds of this.  Distancing was tough, but I at least had enough reach that his kick range was my jab range.  Whenever I felt a kick, I threw a counter punch.  Got good at that reaction.  Did a lot of cross checking, not too much same side stuff.  Didn't want to take my rear foot off the ground.  Landed some decent hooks, including one sweet body right hook off of a bob and weave.  Landed a very solid parry/counter jab against his own jab a couple of times.  Overall felt smooth.  This was a good way to teach me to not move straight back.  Whenever I did, I got kicked.  Want to do this more often.

2 comments:

  1. How do you do knife sparring? I used to have a friend wield a pen at me and if I got marked it meant I was stabbed, but I'm guessing what you do is just a little more practical than that game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, not more practical, it pretty much is a game.  We use training knives and wear MMA gloves to protect our hands, and just go until first slice.  I'm under no dellusion that I'm training to be a knife fighter, it's just a fun way to warm up and get the reflexes going.

    ReplyDelete