Monday, August 20, 2007

Training Log: Entry 446

Went to the on base boxing gym today.  A very stellar place.  I walk in and the guy gives me the rundown.

"This is a boxing gym.  It ain't for karate or any of that other jazz.  It's not for people looking to get into shape, it's a boxing gym."

I was totally onboard with that.  The place is pretty lax, with most of it just working on stuff by yourself with the coach watching over and giving some pointers.  He'll pick someone and work mitts with them for some rounds.  There's two routes to go.  If I don't want to compete, I'm gonna just come in 3 days a week and get a workout with some pointers here and there.  If I choose to compete, I'm in 5 days a week and doing some serious hard work.  I wanna try competing, but that depends on what my job is like and what my housing situation is.  Until then, I can still work some basic stuff.

The coach says I’m ready for some local shows based on what he saw of me today. Wants me to fight at 178, which means some fat loss and some water cutting. Worked on throwing high left hook today. Keep elbow straight, I’m angling it downward. Get that shoulder up. Guys in my weight class are 5’11-6’1. I’m gonna need to learn how to punch up. Worked on learning my power and speed. I throw at 100% too much. Need to learn how to throw at 60-80%. Speed with less power. Keep balance on hooks and crosses. Keep rear foot planted, don’t move it around. Angle hook out, not inward. Aim at the target and hit it, not past the target and skim it. Cardio is pretty bad, but if I decide to compete, it’ll definitely get better with all the running. Keep hands up by temples, not down at chin. Angle body away, not square toward punches.

 

Numbers

1-Jab

2-Cross

3-Left hook

4-Right uppercut

5-Left uppercut

 

Need to wrap my hands better, and hit square with the 2-3 knuckles, not my pinky.

2 comments: