Monday, March 23, 2020

Training Log: Entry 2633

PM WORKOUT

SUPERSETS (press-chins)

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x196
3x216
5x241 (lifetime PR)
1x256 (lifetime PR)
1x266 (lifetime PR)
0x276 (very near miss)


NG chins (various grips)
1x11
5x10

GIANT SETS (sets 1 and 3: trap bar.  Sets 2 and 4: log)

Trap bar strict press 165
1x10
1x9

Log clean and press away 190
1x10
1x7

Dips
4xFailure

DB lateral raises 30s
2x12
2x10

Band pull aparts
4x13

Notes: 3:45 between heavy presses, 2:00 between giant sets.  Last workout of this training cycle before I reset the TM, and it was the heaviest I had ever pressed, so I wanted to see what I could do.  241 got a little screwy on me, but 5 was the goal and I crushed it.  255 was crazy light.  265 felt lighter than it should have.  275 felt stupid light, and I think that's ultimately what was my downfall, as I didn't take it seriously enough and let it drift too far forward.  It was a total heartbreaker, as I could tell I was past the hardest part of the press, but I had burnt out my energy and couldn't hold position any longer. 

However, I take solace in knowing that, in the absence of that 5x241 set, I would have definitely had this.  The strength is there.  I took up this most recent competition because I wanted to be forced to strict press 275, and I got to the point where I could.  Mission accomplished.  I've also now pressed the most weight I ever have with a straight bar, and my time with a log doing this was far messier



I cut down the supplemental work as I figured I'd done enough work with the axle for the day.

I'll see if I can keep riding this out as the weight drops, but this was a big moral victory for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment