Wednesday, February 22, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2688

AM WORKOUT (0335 natural wake up)

**SUPER SQUATS** Workout 14

(3) Incline DB Bench/weighted chin superset
1x12x110
1x11x110
1x9x110/2x15x25

BtN Press/Pull aparts
1x10x145
1x8x145
1x7x145/50 reps total


Breathing Squats/Pull overs
**35**x315/20x20





No, that’s not a typo.  35 reps with 315lbs

Die on my feet

Die on my back

Die sitting down

**POST WORKOUT SHAKE**

25 pushdowns

Literally nothing left

Notes:

* This was an interesting training session.  Using some old school terminology, I’ve been “training on the nerve” and it came to show.  Every single set of everything was exhausting and required self-talk to get through, and I still saw progress through out.  However, warming up for the squats I just had nothing in me.  What’s unique is that it’s not my body but my extremities.  My elbows/forearms are just torn to shreds.  Having 400~ lbs on my back 3x a week for long stretches with my low bar approach has just had me reach my limits, and trying to set up under the load was becoming excruciating.  I feel like my body has to juice in it to get the squats out, but I don’t have the stability necessary to hold it there.

* So Chaos is the plan!  I decided to go light and hit a new PR.  And I’m glad I did, because 315 felt MUCH heavier than it had any right to.  This was a pure willpower set, and around rep 7 I felt a twinge in my right hip.  I was pretty pleased with the depth I was finding on this, rep 17 in particular stood out as a clean one.  And man, you wanna feel special?  Get to rep 15 and think “still not halfway”, and then get to rep 20 and think “maybe 20 more of these”.  All I cared to hit was 31 to beat my previous PR, so finding 4 more after that was incredible.

* But f$$k me did I reach DEEP for that.  Once it was done, so was I.  Just nothing left in me.   Cleaning up the gym was agonizing, and all I could manage after that was a VERY difficult set of pushdowns.  

* I’ll get through the rest of this with some creative thinking.  My plan, aside from chaos, is to bring in the SSB next workout.  As much as I don’t feel like the SSB meets intent of Super Squats, it’s going to have to suffice, because my extremity pain is currently driving all my training decisions and that’s just dumb. My conditioning is based around what won’ t cause more pain, and I cut out dips for the same reason.  So we’ll use the SSB so I spend less time with my elbows splayed out.  I’m thinking get 405 with the SSB and see how many reps I can get through it, do SSB for Friday, Monday and the final Friday workout, and then Wed will be a last go with 315 on the buffalo bar.

* I honestly really like that idea, and it might actually be a future Super Squats approach.  I’ve talked about mixing methods before, and this could be akin to a 3/5/1 or Medium/light/heavy style of the program.  One workout going for max reps, one going for weight increases.  Implement switching to spare the connective tissues.  Once again, I think I’m just re-inventing DoggCrapp, but geniuses create and winners steal.

* I am a total psycho, because as I was driving I was thinking to myself “Alright, next training phase I need to lighten the load on my body.  Deep Water uses light weights…”  And it honestly isn’t the WORST follow-up to Super Squats in that regard.  I think they’re fantastic dualistic programs…but my wife ALSO informed me last night that she basically waits until I finish eating for the night so she can get to bed, and it dawned on me that, no joke, yesterday, work ran a little later and I spent the entire time from what I got home to when I went to bed eating.  I still made some time to watch some TV with the kiddo, but I was also snacking while I did that.  I am still stupidly lean for how much I’m putting away, with at least one ab vein, so the food is necessary…but is it really?  Do I REALLY need to be living like this right now?   

* I also need to be able to run 10 miles in April, so that will most likely driving some future training decisions as well.  If nothing else, my upcoming deload week will probably feature heavily in the running.

* Still got Tang Soo Do tonight.  It’s grappling heavy, so that’ll be awesome on my joints.  Most likely do some burpees as well.


PM WORKOUT was tabata front squats.  Something that didn't load my arms.

2 comments:

  1. This and the sets you've been doing with 400+ are insane accomplishments, absolutely amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! Been in a good way with training recently.

      Delete