Monday, January 10, 2005

Training Log: Entry 43


Was able to hit the bag today.  Triceps are only minorly sore.  Added in 2 rounds of rope skipping at the start of the program.  Good for warmup and footwork.


Lifted today.  Day 2 of routine. 


Upright rows: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Lat pulldown: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Cable deadlift: 35 reps (not allowed to deadlift in my gym, and the cable machine only goes up to 250)


Smith machine front shurgs: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Dumbbell shrugs: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Declined dumbbell shrugs: 5 sets of 1-5 reps


Standing E-Z bar curl: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Declined hammer curl: 5 sets of 1-5 reps
Preacher curl station: 5 sets of 1-5 reps


I have lost weight.  It's fluctuating.  I'll post when it stablizes.


Cardio has actually stuck.  I'm impressed.  Will not slack though.  Need to keep it up.  It used to be my strong point.


 


Saw vids of me sparring in September.  Was a total eye opener.  I've changed so much as a fighter in such a short time.  My kickgame was non-existant, I had no idea what I was doing on the ground, and I moved as though I was in slow motion.  However, at that time, I actually had alright punching combinations (even though I left my arms out), but I feel that is more because I was fighting people around my height/reach rather than a lack of experience.  It is difficult for me to stay in punch range against taller opponenets.  Especially against those that run away.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, for some reason I never posted a comment, even though I've been reading your log for a while.
    Why the hell don't they allow deadlifts at your gym?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a liability and space issue.  It's a school weight room, and my college is very concerned with liability.  The MA clubs are all non-contact -_-'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I got a question, as far as jumping rope goes, you got any specific things you do whilst jumping? I usually do either just regular jumping on it, or I alternate feet every two skips, so like, bring the left foot up (jump over rope using only right foot), kick the left foot out slightly so it's in fron of me (Once again, while jumpinh over rope), jump and switch feet. I just do that for a while, and then go back to regular jumping. Any other excercises to do, cause jumping rope is boring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats a fairly extensive routine, seems you do a lot of sets but with only a few reps, i always thought/was taught doing 3 sets of 10 was usual (its what i do when i go to the gym). Is their a reason why you do so many short sets rather then longer sets or is it just what your use to, kinda curious?

    ReplyDelete
  5. For jumping rope, you can also switch the rope in front of you (criss-cross), do several rotations in one jump (rotate fast and jump high), move while jumping, kick while jumping, stay on one leg, etc etc.
    Mike: The 3 sets 10 reps is "basic lifting" in the sense that it gets you used to the motor skills necessary for the machines, and will tend to develop muscular size.  Most people who go into lifting are interested in simply "getting in shape".
    The method I do though is more conducive for strength training.  It's something of a "powerlifting" regimine rather than a "bodybuilding" regimine.  Because I do so few reps, I need to do more sets to compensate.
    Hehe, I could go on for hours about this.  If you're even more curious, feel free to e-mail me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is criss-crossing any god though? Like, does it improve anything, well I guess coordination. I'll have to try to wrok in some double jumps once going for 5 minutes becomces really easy. As it is, double jumps (I can't do triple) tire me out pretty fast, and just jumping for 5 minutes still gets me pretty winded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cross-crossing is good for just like you said, coordination.  It'll also change up the rythym and help you adapt to that, which is key for good footwork when fighting.  If nothing else, it's less boring =P

    ReplyDelete