Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Training Log: Entry 48


I have started training in submission grappling.  Essentially Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu with elements of Dumog, Sambo, and other grappling arts.  My wrestling background helps.  Here is a review of my first lesson.


Warm up: Circling the mat, shoulder/back rolls


Work on getting takedown during standup:
  Jab-cross-double bodyhook
  Jab-cross-double bodyhook-double leg takedown-side control
  Jab-cross-double bodyhook-double leg takedown-side control allowing both partners to throw strikes
  Jab-cross-double bodyhook-double leg takedown-side control allowing both partners to throw strikes-top man goes for mount


From mount:
Figure four
Armbar-worked on planting foot against body, stepping over with other leg, sitting my weight down, falling back, and raising hips.  Simple sub.


From mounted:
Oompa: trap both supporting arm and leg, and hip bump on that side
Elbow defense: elbows press against leg to lower mount, then shove the chest while bumping


From there, we did some calistencs, and then some free rolling
I one my first roll with an armbar from mount.  It was against the annoying training partner from my Muay Thai class, so I was happy.


I was then pitted up against one of the more experienced guys.  I put up a decent fight, but lost to an armbar once I lost mount and was put into guard.


Cardio held up well, but I want more.  Also, I'm using muscle when I grapple, but I'd prefer to be technical.  Forearms and fingers were exhausted.  So far, I like what i'm learning.  Hopefully I'll get more from guard and mounted (my weak areas).

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome, especially since you used to say grappling was one of your weak points. Didn't you? You did do wrestling, but I seem to remember you saying that. Anyways, good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I called it my weakpoint because of my lack of knowledge of subs.  I classify "grappling" and "wrestling" as different.  Since I wantt o compete in the pankration league back home though, I wanted to get some subs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I admit it, I have been slacking and haven't posted a lot recently.  I am so excitied to read about your workouts and your MA class.  It is really great that you are getting to go to them more regularly now.  Glad to hear that you get to do more grabbling.  I know that makes you happy.  Nice to know your cardio is holding up really well.  Wish I could drag you along with me to go running like pre-winter break...looks like it might be awhile before I can do that again.  Thanks for everything.  Reading your posts gives me inspiration that my shoulder will be good as new if not better.  You're amazing!  I am so proud of you.  Keep up the good work!!!!! ~aloha~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun. The Pankration thing down there (SoCal Pankration right?) is like, californias version of MMA right? Oh, and whats Dumog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's one of the "MMA" leagues in CA.  And Dumog is a fillipino style of wrestling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No face shots in Pankration, and it's traditionally open hand correct (Damn, I should know this, I'm taking the damn art)? Do they compete with that ruleset, or is it modified?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can scope it out here at www.socalpankration.com
    There are no shots to the head (open handed or otherwise), and knee bars are illegal, along with a few other things.

    ReplyDelete