Sunday, March 25, 2007

Training Log: Entry 384

Finally got power back in my right hand.  I managed to bruise and cut my knuckles underneath 16oz gloves and handwraps.  The trick is not flaring out the heel.  I always did the opposite, and as such I lost connection with the ground, had no rooting, and was only using the power of my arms.  The floor still sucks, but if I can hit power on a slick floor, I can hit power on a floor with some trackson.  Remember the hinge, swing the body from jab and cross.  Croutching seems to be helping as well.  I seem to hit much lower on the heavybag than on my sparring partner.  Weird.

Haven't been working much defense on the bag.  Pretty much just squaring off and hitting it with single techniques and 2 hit combos.  Been doing jab, cross, Jab-cross, Jab-cross jab jab-cross, and some hooks and shovel hooks.  Also been doing come infighting drills from Boxing Mastery.  A heavier bag would be more beneficial.  I keep hitting the bag away.  The Dempsy Cage is gonna be a regular part of my training.

2 comments:

  1. It's a drill Jack Dempsy used to do.  Apparently, he built a cage with a 4-5 foot high ceiling so that he could never stand completely upright.  From here, he would shadowbox/drill.  It's said that staying croutched like that allowed him to build up some serious explosive power, and trained him to fight from the low position.  You can do this drill without the cage by training from a croutch for a few rounds.

    ReplyDelete