Monday, November 12, 2007

Training Log: Entry 497

DE upper day

Speed bench of 170
8x3

Notes: Method of alternating between touch and go vs. pause was a bust.  Too much time anticipating the touch and go, pause actually ended up being far more explosive.  Live and learn.  Was getting a good arch today.  Back was really sticking to the bench.

Wide grip pause bench of 255
6,5,3,4

Notes: Using Alex's advice and switching out my CG bench work with Wide grip bench.  My tricep strength is fine, and my lockout isn't suffereing, whereas my chest is weak and I tend to stall early in the bench rather than the end, so this should be of a greater benefit to my training.  Wrist was a little sore from this, practice of form should help.  Index finger on the ring/slightly outside.

Overhead press of 135
6,6,4,5

Notes: Push pressed the last rep of the last set.  Think I'm gonna take Lance's advice and perform some raises in place of pressing.  Already have 2 pressing movements, and with a wider grip bench, my shoulders are already going to get obliterated.

Bent over BB rows of 185
10,8,6,5

Notes: First few reps were a little off, but after that, very good series.  Didn't cheat on form, but had the mental image of using leg drive to get more power into the row and reduce arm recruitment.  Visualization really helps.  Keep pulling with those elbows to my waist.

Unilateral DB hammer curls of 40lbs
8,7,7

Notes: Remembered last time with contracting my glutes and squeezing the crap out of the DB.  Tried to pressurize my abs as well.  Getting a lot better results from this movement than the EZ bar curls from before.

 

Walking around now at about 207 give or take.  Curious to see how high I can get.

3 comments:

  1. What do you think is your BB row max? A lot of people I know have only a slightly lower row than bench. Yours seems a lot lower, but maybe you never trained it as much. Not really sure if anything I just said is useful, but I'm just throwing it out there. Let PPP shoot me if I'm wrong (like he does in teh Rambo movies)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea.  I think I'm very fast twitch dominant compared to slow twitch, so 10 rep maxes are nowhere near where I can put up a single.  A good form BB row single would most likely be lower than my bench max, but I could "row" a BB with a good amount of weight I'm sure.
    I spent the first few years of my lifting doing a lot of upper body pushing with minimal upper body pulling/leg work.  I got up to a 300lb touch and go bench with no idea what I was doing, so right now my body is playing catch up to that.
    I've actually heard that pull-up max weight is a better guage than BB row personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont really think that either one should be at or above your bench max as long as they both move (relatively) close together. I mean think about it, your leverages are so much better on a bench compared to rows or pull ups (sturdy bench, potential adrenaline from dropping shit on your face, stretch reflex, leg drive, leverage etc). Plus a range of motion on a bench is likely shorter than a pull up or row depending on body type, grip and arch. just my thoughts on the issue, perhaps justifying my why its ok that my bench is better than either rows or pullups :P

    ReplyDelete