Monday, October 14, 2019

Training Log: Entry 2533
LATE AM WORKOUT

SUPERSET (Press-pulldown)

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
5x146
5x166
12x191

Lat pulldown 110lbs
5x10

GIANT SETS (Press-dips-raises-pull aparts.  Sets 1 and 4 axle strict press, 2 and 5 barbell behind the neck press, 3 and 6 log clean once and strict press away)

Axle strict press 161
1x10
1x7

Barbell behind the neck press 125
1x10
1x7

Log clean and press away 150
1x10
1x7

Dips
6xFailure

DB lateral raises 30
2x12
4x11

Band pull aparts
6x12

DB curls 15lbs
1x100

Notes: 2:00 between giant sets.  For the curls, I took to leaning back against my axle in the rack as a semi-incline curl.  Just helped keep technique a little strict so I could get blood flowing into the biceps.

12 was the goal for that topset on presses, so happy to hit that. I walked the TM back 2 cycles to give me a little breathing room post comp, which should allow me to keep growing leading into the next comp.  Cut out the backoff set for today because it woulda been the same weight as the press supplemental set and that seemed silly.

Gonna open up the mad science lab on this one: plan for the supplemental work is 3 press movements.  Axle strict press will be a mainstay.  After that, I'll have 1 week where I use behind the neck press and log, and another week where I do trap bar press from the rack and keg clean and press.  Behind the neck press has been a great addition to the training and paid off a ton in this last comp, but now I need to get better at pressing a weight far out in front of me, so the log should carry over well to that while still being a pretty generic press overhead, while the keg will have direct carryover to the competition.  Once I get the Bartos loadable keg, it will be especially easy to program.  The trap bar press will get me more practice at neutral grip pressing while getting me a very full ROM similar to the axle and behind the neck pressing.  I'm thinking that more angles are just going to get me stronger all over.

First time touching a log since Jul of '18.  That first set was ROUGH, balance was all over, but I got better come the second go around.

Still pretty beat up.  I need to run, but my left knee is swollen.  Gonna try it tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment