Friday, August 25, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 3044

AM WORKOUT (0407 wake up via alarm.  Only woke up once in the middle of the night: a new recent sleep PR)


**JUGGERYOKE** Week 1, Workout 5: Squats and Shrugs





Buffalo Bar Squat to straps

15x1x275


For the first 11 sets, giant sets with


Trap bar shrugs

8x3x445

3xAMRAPx355


Band pull aparts

11x20


Final 4 sets, superset/giant sets including


Axle clean and strict press away

5x123

3x7x123

6x123


Hanging leg raise

5xAMRAP w/10 lat shrugs at end of each set


BREAKFAST


Walk w/dog



Notes:


* 275 was just about right for my goals here.  My right hip got a little buggy again, and in brought the right knee with it, but I met intent, and kept rest times below 3 minutes.  Next time, I’m going to keep bar weight the same or reduce it a little but add chains.  Coming out of the hole was definitely the weak point, and then my topend strength would explode, so I feel like changing the curve of resistance on this would go far.  Dan John talks about how he’d always use chains on squats if he could do it all over again, and I definitely see the benefit there.  Another possibility is to switch this up to SSB instead.  I could see that going far for the “yoke” portion of this, and my shoulders were not too happy coming in to squat today, but I wanted to give a full week at least an honest go before I screwed around with things too much.


* Took a while to find my stride on the shrugs.  Good that I’m re-developing familiarity with the trap bar.  


* The pull aparts are, once again, not RX.  But they’re good for me.


* Wasted too much energy on the first set of the axle by trying to no-belt continental it.  I followed Jamie’s prescription and got the required reps in, as this was prescribed 4x8.  


* The lat shrugs are honestly just genius here.  Definitely stealing it for the future.  Such a natural way to do the Kelso shrug.


* My sleep keeps getting better, and my caffeine use drops to correspond.  I only got up once in the middle of the night last night, which timed out well for my “wake and shake”.  2 years ago, I legit would wake up every 30 minutes.  


* Family got in another 2 mile walk last night before bed.  We took it slow, because of the heat.  Was a great day to get out in the sun.


* Tang Soo Do tonight.  We’ll actually attend this time.  My weekend is going to be absolutely insane.  We have a TSD get together Sat morning, Mrs and I are taking in a comedy show in the afternoon, doing a Renaissance Fair the morning of the next day, then the in-laws come in that afternoon, and I’m taking the day off work on Monday in order to have a weekend to recover from my weekend.  I’ll get in activity at some point through it all, but that’s more the focus at this point: activity vs training.  Living, enjoying, loving and thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment