Thursday, January 4, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3147

AM WORKOUT (0416 natural wake up, snoozed until 0425)


10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of


225lb buffalo bar squat

80lb dip

315lb deadlift





Notes:


* Breaking myself back into lifting after the downtime, figured this would be a solid way to “remember”.  Basically a powerlifting meet, except dips are more awesome than benching.  The transition from the deadlift to the squat is the roughest part.  Also, I was pulling in weightlifting shoes, because I didn’t want to deal with taking shoes off and putting them back on each round, nor did I want to squat flat soled.  Deadlifting in the weightlifters tends to actually feel pretty “right”, I can get more leg drive that way, but it’s also more of a challenge and adds some ROM.


* My lower back has really gone to crap.  It was in agony through this all.  The most obvious issue is I haven’t done any manner of reverse hyper in a LONG time.  My core is strong, sure, but the lower back in particular is not near as bulletproof as it used to be.  My next training phase needs to bring those back, along with GHRs.  Basically, it’s time for some harmony disruption.  I’ve been training what comes naturally for a long time, so now it’s time to be unnatural.


* You can watch me get more and more limber as the workout goes on.  Product of not warming up and training first thing upon waking.  The first round of 10 was effectively the warm-up FOR the workout.  Squatting in particular was feeling more natural toward the end, and I so rarely pull from the floor these days that it was good to get in some reps.  I WAS using my deadlift bar, but the weight was light enough that I didn’t get much of a flex benefit from it.  It was more like just choosing the right tool for the job.


* No walk this morning.  My in-laws depart today, and with that life will get back to a bit more normal.  I have another cruise coming up in 64 days, which will impact plans.  I have a 10 mile run coming up in Apr, and I’m looking at some possible strongman competitions.  The sad reality of the latter is I’ve really just placed myself out of any decent weightclass.  My walk around weight is in the low 170s, and though there is technically a 165lb class, I pretty much never see it at a comp.  181 is effectively a class for dudes that walk around at 200lbs, and though I CAN be that guy, I’m really at a point where I don’t want to be that guy.  Or, more specifically, I don’t want to do what it takes to be that guy.  I’m keeping my eyes open for more martial arts stuff, and we’ll have a local Tang Soo Do tournament this year, although that doesn’t do too much to excite me.  But I suppose it’s a good sign I still want to go compete in something.  But ultimately I wrote all this out to say that my training is going to be dictated by schedule and possibly by upcoming events.  With the cruise in 64 days, I wanna try a similar approach of a hard famine leading up to it and then gigantic rebound/recomp.  Right now, I’m looking at doing a 2 week famine coming back from the cruise, which I’ll officially start on Monday 8 Jan, which would mean 60 days remaining from there.  2 weeks of famine training would give me 46 days.  If I do a 4 week feast after that, then I’ve got 18 days remaining for a famine, which works out pretty decent.  I may just keep it simple and run Jamie’s Famine-Feast-Famine so I can shut off my brain, but perhaps something else will catch the attention of my squirrel brain.


* I have Tang Soo Do tonight.  The schedule has shifted this year: we do Tues and Thurs now vs Tues and Fri.  I like that more.

2 comments:

  1. Hoping you do an MMA match at lightweight or welterweight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No intention there. Already did MMA. Don't really care for it.

      Delete