Wednesday, February 7, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3176


AM WORKOUT (0420 wake up via alarm)


**5/3/1 BUILDING THE MONOLITH** Week 3, Workout 3



SUPERSET (Pull-bench)


Low handle trap bar pull

5x175

5x335

5x385

3x5x425 (just realized at this moment I went 20lbs over what I was supposed to do today)


Axle bench press

5xAxle

5x186

5x211

5x5x236


KB rows

3x15x40kg

1x12x40kg

1x10x40kg


Poundstone Curls

100xAxle (85 unbroken)


END OF REQUIRED WORK


3x10 standing ab wheel

Neck harness

20 GHRs


BREAKFAST


Short walk w/dog (no vest)


Notes:


* As I logged this, I realized I forgot to factor the trap bar weighing 65lbs into my platemath, so I went 20lbs heavier on everything.  Which means it’s time to reset my training max, because though this was a HARD workout, it wasn’t impossible.  Good to discover I’m getting that strong.  Reminds me of the story Jamie Lewis tells where Pat Casey OR Bruce Randall (which shows it’s a tall tale, but a good one) took a bench that was bolted to the floor and ripped it out of the moorings without even realizing it, thinking it was just a free bench.  Just so strong it didn’t register.  I also have that Goku moment of “now that I’ve experienced 100 times gravity I must TRAIN at 100 times gravity”, because I KNOW I’m strong enough to do 3x5x425 on the trap bar.  


* This was the day I was dreading the most, oddly enough, NOT the widowmaker day.  Pulls for multiple sets always suck, and the low handle trap bar is totally against how I’m built.  Getting through it is the win for this week.


* I honestly think I may just always pull with a trap bar for 5/3/1 workouts at this point, while making sure to keep in my weekly mat pull workout.  I don’t really get much out of multiple sets of straight bar deads, whereas the trap bar definitely attacks my weaknesses.  Meanwhile, I am certain I can recover from 5 minutes of deadlifting once a week, and I respond VERY well to one big set in that fashion.  Having my cake and eating it too.


* Benching didn’t feel super strong, but good enough.  


* Really trying to get those rows to register “bodybuilder style”.  Focusing on the pump and cramp.


* Always pleased with what I’m picking for assistance work.  Things that matter.


* Glad I could get in something with the dog.  Weather is getting better, but work schedule is a bit more intense.



Not used to seeking Frank rocking my haircut




No comments:

Post a Comment