Thursday, February 8, 2024

 Training Log: Entry 3177

AM WORKOUT (0420 Natural Wake up)


**5/3/1 BUILDING THE MONOLITH** Week 3, Workout 4 (Conditioning)


75 swings w/20kg bell

2 mile walk w/80lb vest

30 rounds of 10 prisoner squats and 10 push ups in 21 minutes


BREAKFAST


Short walk w/dog (no vest)


Notes:


* Every time this day rolls around in the program, it’s exactly what I need.  Feeling a little beat and “over it” for the heavy stuff, so I can just get my heart rate up, listen to a podcast, get in some walking, and limber up my body.  Funny enough, this is Jamie Lewis’ daily prescription in Feast, Famine and Ferocity (2 mile walk and 300 squats/push ups) just as part of “being a human”.  And then I also steal from Dan John by hitting the swings first to get the heart rate up and break up the free fatty acids.


* I realize a little bit of the subtle genius in Jim’s conditioning recommendations during BtM as well.  Weighted vest walks and airdyne for distance are low intensity, and will most likely keep the heart rate in the “fat burning” zone vs sugar/muscle burning.  All those folks worried about “getting fat” from eating a dozen eggs and 1.5lbs of ground beef a day are missing out on the built in fat gain control there.  And in the past, I was certainly guilty of pushing the intensity stupidly hard during the program.  It wasn’t a situation where Jim was saying “Don’t push the conditioning hard because it’s bad for you”, it was “Don’t push the conditioning hard because that’s not the program”.  Keep the goal the goal.


* I was moving quite slow on those squats and push ups.  Hitting them after the 2 mile weighted walk is a different animal.


* Had some time to reflect on the walk.  It’s crazy the things that have healed as my nutrition has sorted itself.  I’ve been able to sleep on my back for the past few months now, having spent 37 years as a stomach sleeper.  It’s now actually pretty uncomfortable for me to sleep on my stomach.  Plantar warts on my feet have gone away.  Complexion is better.  I no longer need anti-perspirant; just deodorant, which is crazy having been a guy who was constantly “pitting out”.  Joint pain significantly reduced.  My digestion is the best it’s been in quite a while.  All these interesting things that I just thought were quirks of mine or aspects of getting older have turned out to be things that just needed healing.


* Work schedule is still a little intense, so shorter walks with the dog.  


* Tang Soo Do on the schedule for tonight.  Last class was actually pretty solid: we did some flow drills and improv with 1 step self-defense.  Got to bring out some elbows and headbutts.

No comments:

Post a Comment