Wednesday, September 6, 2006

Training Log: Entry 279

Second MMA club meeting of the semester.

Much more effective use of time.  Still spent most of my time teaching, but managed to get in some rolling and some boxing.

(I realized I forgot my fun titles last entry, so here they are)

First roll with BJJ/KK chick.  We both have some new tricks, and it showed.  She was still the more aggressive one, but I spent much more of my time flowing and securing posistions rather than simply working for the tap.  Worked on keeping my mount high, and managed to roll and take the back twice, but couldn't complete my RNC.  Did a decent job of passing half guard.  Fumbled my triangle attempt (had my legs all jacked up), and though a smooth transistion to armbar from guard, wasn't able to break the defense.  Managed to defend most sub attempts, and eventually utilized a kimura from guard for the tap.

Second roll with my fiancee.  Worked much more on my transistional game and upa from the bottom of mount.  Threw in some kimuras for her to defend against.  Did a good job of keeping the flow going.  Eventually she caught me in a strong guillitine which I tapped to.  I'm proud of her.

Boxing with the new kid [Training in JKD (looks like your typical MT/Boxing/trapping stuff), kali, and sub grappling.  From this point on, JKD/SG dude).  I was so proud of myself.  Literally right off the first punch (left jab), I bob and weave and counterpunch with a right hook to his gut on the way up.  This set the mood for the fight, and he became much more pensive to punch with me.  I had the reach advantage, and eventually learned how to time his rhythm and would land a jab to his face everytime he threw a jab at me.  My jab would land because I could find my distance, while his would come up short.  However, he showed me a flaw in my game with a well executed left hook.  I instinctively slip/bob to my right almost always.  I need to mix it up.  Still, didn't take much abuse, much better than previous attempts.

I'm currently training a kid new to boxing.  I've seen him fight before, and he's like I used to be.  All offense, no defense.  I'm currently drilling him on how to counter punch, move in, etc etc.  He's almost my exact height at 5'9, so I'm teaching him how to fight taller guys.  He's adopting peek a boo too.  I can't wait to see him win something.  Taught him to keep his gloves on his face, croutch low, move in, and rein bodyblows.

Taught some new folks the real basics of the jab/cross and stance.  Wasn't able to stick around for much longer than that.

Polished off the night with more of the defense drill.  New element this time.  I put my back against the wall, and told my fiancee to throw any kind of punch she wanted (jabs, crosses, hooks, uppercuts, and overhands).  The only stipulation being nothing but headshots.  Defense is getting nice and crisp.  Worked my parries much more effectively, focused more on my slipping, and didn't stay in the bob and weave long enough to take an uppercut.  A few punches got through, but for the most part I walked out feeling good.  Even managed to do a little skeet shooting (blocking with the point of the elbows).  Loving this drill.

Outstanding meeting tonight. 

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could go to these. Pretty lucky for the new guy that you're concentrating on your own defense moreso now than before. Keep up the good work and self-assessment.

    ReplyDelete