Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Training Log: Entry 288

MMA club meeting.

Rolled with the fiancee to warm up.  She's doing a better job of securing her guard high and flowing.  Helped her work through a kimura from guard.  I knew it would come up soon.

Strikers clinic tonight, I loved it.  At one point, everyone was drilling strikes, no one on the mat.

Worked some defense from the peek a boo with the fiancee.  Had her fire a 1-2,  the bob and weave against two hooks.  Her hands are staying glued to her face, and smoother on the bob and weave.  Added a lead hook to the end of the combo to show her how to use her defense as an offense.  Later drilled the slip off of a 2-1 and a counter overhand right to the exposed head.  She was slamming me good there.

Drilled some focus mitts with the new boxer kid.  He expressed a hesitation to unload after an evasion, so drilled fast reactions to hooks.  2 bobs followed by a hook counter.  His left hook lacks serious power, so I showed him the technique and had him drill the heavy bag.

Rolled 3 times with the JKD/SG guy.

First roll: We fought for supremacy from the knees.  This is really stupid, I should just pull guard and work from my back from now on.  It's not a competition, it's a learning environment.  Scrambled a lot until he eventually put me down and I pulled him into my guard.  Immediately went for the kimura from guard which he defended.  Started toying with the head, faking for a guillitine, until I managed to buck and roll into mount.  Worked to place knees into armpits.  Good habit, but was put off balance and rolled.  I made the most of it, and wound up taking his back.  Need to sink in my hooks before trying for the RNC though, as I ended up on my back with him in my guard.  He went to pass and I went for a crappy triangle.  It failed, but switched it to an armbar for a quick tap.  Much smoother this time.  Love that set up.

Second roll: Much like before with scrambling.  Did a good job of passing his half guard by placing his leg down and getting over it.  Using some muscle, but only when I know he's off balance.  Tried for a kimura from mount, but dude has flexible shoulders.  Had to use my hand to apply force.  I feel like that's going to get me in trouble some day.

Third roll: Felt really bad about this one.  I started toying around with some head and arm stuff.  I actually gator rolled him from the bottom to gain posistional dominance (only seen it on TV, never actually learned it).  Ended up on my back with his arm across his throat.  Went for an arm triangle, but it ended up being a neck crank.  Really didn't want to do that, but he was cool with it.

Did some really light sparring with the new boxer.  Just threw some lazy shots for him to capitalize on.  He's getting good, he just needs to frickin' relax.

Showed the WC dude some very basic boxing.  Will teach him more tomorrow.

 

ME lower body day

Squats:
3XBar
3X135
3X225
3X275
1X325
1X345
1X365
Walk out with 375
1X325

Note: Legs way burnt out from Air Force PT.  Felt like I was dying in the squat rack.  Most likely over trained.  Still saw a jump in my max, but was not happy with my form.  Need to pick up more glutamine.  Can't wait until my bulk.

Partial deadlifts
8X135
8,8X185
6X185

Notes: Feeling stronger on this lift.  Form good too, just too burnt out.

Skipped my lunges.  Felt like my legs would benefit more from the rest than a workout.  Still, at least I saw another 10lb jump here. 

1 comment:

  1. Its pretty fun reading about how your beating people up in your club, definitely a good way to practice and improve yourself with a variety of opponents. I have to give you a call sometime, i have to quit being so lazy

    ReplyDelete