Monday, September 11, 2006

Training Log: Entry 282

ME upper body day

Rack lockouts at halfway point

3Xbar
3X135
3X225
3X305
1X315
1X335
0X355
1X355

Notes: Failed at 355 the first time from a bad start (bar was uneven).  Managed it again by recruiting my legs at the end.  Need to do that more.  Did a concentric and eccentric rack lockout, not just eccentric

Dips
4X5w/45lb plate

Note: Hit 6 the first time.  After that, didn't want to go with bad form, so cut it short.  Next time, 6s all around

Tricep pull down with bent bar
10X115
2X10@130
1X8@130

Note: This was really easy.  Try the 145 next time

Front raises
10X10
3x10 @ 15

Note: Suprisingly strong at this.  Form was good the whole way through.  Try 20s next time.

Bent over BB row

4X8-10 @ 115

Note: Form was really bad at first until I took off my glasses.  Made it easier to check form in the mirror.  Looking up halfway through the lenses was messing me up.  Not really feeling it in my lats though.  Stick with one more week, then back to wide grip pull-ups/pull downs.

Straight bar curls
3X8-10 @ bar

Note: Great lift, felt strong

Note in general: After reading Pavel's "Beyond Bodybuilding", I'm focusing much more on not training to failure in order to get gains.  It's tough to shake the HIT brainwashing, but the results are worth it.

 

MMA club meeting.

Didn't really do much rolling or sparring this meeting, but got to work on fundamentals.  Went over the kimura possibilities from side mount from this summer (I still remember them all and can pull them off without trouble), and helped out the new boxer by throwing some shots at him and having him dodge.  He's still really manic, and it's gonna get him exhausted, but his defense is at least increasing at a near exponential rate.

Worked my defense with the same kid.  Just told him to fire some shots at me.  I was parrying everything he threw at me, patting was good, slipping and bobbing ok, but fell victim to his long looping hooks a lot.  Kept tagging me in the back of the head...danger zone there.  Either need to move in, move out, or bob away.

Rolled with the fiancee.  Her transistional game is getting better.  She knows what to do, but is afraid to use it because she doesn't want to hurt me.  Can't say I'm not the same way. 

Got to spar her too.  Boxing rules.  She had bag gloves on, so it made me really on guard with my defense.  A lot of circling and defending against some shots.  Fired a few blows to her body off of a slip/bob and weave (found out later she thought we weren't doing bodyshots...whoops), and dodged her overhand right by moving my head back (not too sure if that's the proper defense...I've never gone to a school that went in depth on the overhand).  She landed a beautiful shot to my right eye though.  Perfet timing, hands down, not paying attention, BLAM!  I thought it was gonna be a black eye at first.  No such luck.  Always next time.

1 comment:

  1. Those are big numbers on rack lockouts.I formally just learned basics so this may not apply to you as someone with more options, but I was taught that on wide punches like overhands there should be more movement utilized than just a slip to accomodate for it.

    ReplyDelete