Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Training Log: Entry 284

Another MMA club meeting.

Rolled twice with the fiancee.  Worked for those smooth transistions, escaping mount, rolling, getting a base, basically building up her fundamentals.  She's doing better, can't wait until I can start putting the full weight on.  Caught me in a guillitine twice, and I was fighting against it.  She sinking it much deeper and more natural now.  Showed her the kimura from the guard as she just about had it at one point.  Expect to see it appear in the near future.

Rolled with the JKD/SG guy.  Started from knees, threw a cattle catcher on him but didn't pass his guard.  Right away he starts going for a shoulder lock, and ends up sweeping me off my base so that now we're stuck in a half guard situation with him cranking on my shoulder.  I focus on wrapping around his back and snagging his arm to cut off the lock.  From there, I pull him into my guard and start working the kimura.  He fights it off well, and then I switch for an armbar attempt.  He passes my legs over his head and works for half guard.  I use my hands to cut off his hips from walking around me, and eventually rock him off balance and roll on top of his half guard.  We scramble for a bit, I get in mount, go for the kimura, he bucks me off but I still have it in guard.  I drew his attention with the kimura attempt, then alluva sudden shove his head away and slip the crappiest armbar of my life on him.  Pure strength for the tap.

I need to work the armbar from guard more, and not give up my arms from top of guard so much.  He was picking shoulder locks at will.

Worked with the new boxer kid.  He's still training his defense, but I told him to take some shots on the rush in.  He got some good gut punches, and even tagged my face on my wild swings.  He says that whenever he spars, he's gotten much better at closing the gap and taking much fewer punches.

Sparred with the fiancee, boxing rules.  The first couple minutes was me working my defense and taking a few shots when I saw openings.  I don't know how to fight her.  It's a flurry of ridiculously fast and powerful overhands (left and right).  She punches harder than the guys, and too fast.  Whenever I slip one overhand, I get snagged with 2-3 on the way back.  Doing by best to just evade and block.  Best bet would be rope-a-dope.

She pulled some dirty boxing on me.  Grabbed on glove and slammed some overhand rights at me with the other hand.  I was so proud of her.  I taught her some other dirty tactics. 

Second round, I toyed around a little.  I was using a high stance like in MT, and decided this time to go full peek a boo.  Legs nice and bent, real crouched, eye level with her at 5'6 against my 5'9.  I had no idea how much of a difference the crouch makes with peek a boo.  I was untouchable, and felt a million times faster.  At the same time, I told her to glue her hands to her face, making it much harder to get an opening shot in.  Much better on both parts.

Good meeting overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment