Thursday, September 14, 2006

Training Log: Entry 285

Another MMA club meeting.

New kid.  MT/BJJ.  Talks way too much, but knows a lot of stuff, so once you cut through the crap, he offers some decent material.  Brings a lot of crap too, like me (thai pads, heavy bag, etc etc).

Worked with the new boxer.  His rush is getting much better.  He can time my wild swings and rush in.  Now I'm working on getting him fluid.  He's too rigid and jerky, and gasses out way too quickly.  Told him to drill fluidity by weaving across the floor slowly, then explode on the heavy bag.  There were some other folks using the space too, boxers, and they helped him with his footwork.  I'm glad, because mine sucks hard.

Rolled with the new kid.  He was way sweaty and greasy, pretty gross.  A lot of stuff wasn't working due to the lack of friction.  I was trapped in his guard for a while.  Was trying to pass, but kept slipping.  He wasn't working too much from there, so I just decided to bait the triangle in order to get a pass.  Pass the legs over my head and go for side control.  Still couldn't get a grip.  Lots of posistioning, trying for anything but not having much luck.  I fell victim to an armbar at one point, and just quit fighitng.  Was getting too frustrated, and just wanted the tap to be over with.  Worked a basic armbar escape from there (step over, stack, go loose, pull out).

Rolled with the JKD/SG guy.  Working my posistioning.  I should just pull guard from knees, instead of the stupid dance we all do.  Eventually I just shucked him to the side and took side control.  Slipped into full mount from there, and managed to trap an arm against his throat with my chest.  I took this time to attack his unguarded arm with a kimura, and got a verbal tap.

Rolled with KK/BJJ chick.  She pulled guard, which I passed to half guard.  We scramble, with her bucking me off balance and trying for the guilltine.  I get rolled into guard, which she passes for half guard.  I grab her waist and roll her onto her back (pure strength on that one), then work for the full mount.  Ended with an eventual kimura.

Did some pad drills with the thai pad.  Need to relax more.  Basic 1-2 kinda stuff.  New kid moves the pads too far in, but got to work my precision and power a little.  Held for him, he was gassing bad.

Did some boxing sparring with the new kid.  We agree on 50%, and as soon as we touch gloves, he tries to take my head off.  I immediately go into survival mode (stupid of me), and forget almost all the crap I worked on over the summer.  Back to my old tactics of fending off with the jab, hiding behind it.  Eventually, I start to calm down more and adjust to his rhthym.  He's a one trick poney, with a big looping right hook and not much else.  He fires a low body jab to draw my hands, and goes for the haymaker.  Not enough power to really phase me though, but hard to dodge without just ducking.  Can't slip or back away, too looping.  Instead, I start using my offense as my defense, and firing hard jabs into his face.  His hands are like a skiball game, shot right up the middle.  I slip a few punches, and we clinch.  He starts firing hooks from the clinch.  That really pissed me off.  It was supposed to be a 50% spar, and here he is throwing dirty hooks.  I let my anger get the best of me, and just pop 3 very hard jabs right into his nose.  That ended it.  We stop, touch gloves, and call it a day.

Note: I at least could see what I need to work on.  Circular movement when moving back, not just straight back.  Work those pats in there, don't just use head movement.  My fiancee watched and said my gloves were glued to my head the whole time, and for that I'm thankful.  At least I know my chin is still doing strong.  Finally able to work a hook into sparring.  Lead left.  I was really proud of that.

Lifts

DE upperbody day

8 sets of triples on bench with 165lbs

Note: Form bad on first set, everything smooth from there. Nice and fast.

Close grip BP with 165 lbs
10,10, 7, 8

Note: Lift is real easy now.  Love the strength gains.

Curve bar tricep pushdown
10X130
3X8 of 140

Note: Getting stronger here.  Form great.

Front raises

4X10 of 20lbs

Note: Form was great, and not to failure.

Bent over rows of 125lbs
10, 10, 10, 8

Note: Had a few hours rest here, so came in nice and strong.  Felt the pull in my back.

Straight bar curls

10X55lbs
8X55lbs
8X45lbs

Note: Form doing well until last set.  Work on that.

3 comments:

  1. Hope things get better with the new guy. If he's experienced, at least you have someone to learn some muay thai stuff from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you say, "55lbs" for a straight bar curl, do you mean the weight that you're adding to the bar, or the whole curl in general?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole weight.  I'm simply specifying what type of bar I'm using.
    Ever since I've stopped hip swinging, back arching, and moving my elbows forward, curls take much less weight to be effective.

    ReplyDelete