Sunday, October 14, 2007

Not a training update, just going to post my new workout for reference.  Been doing a lot more reading over at elitefts.com, and feel like I have a much better grasp of the westside method.

Monday – Dynamic Effort Bench

Dynamic Bench Press 8x3/55%
Triceps-Lockouts/board presses 4x5-10         
Shoulders- Overhead presses 4x5-10
Lats/Upper Back-Rows4x8-10
Biceps-3x8-10

Tuesday – Max Effort Squat/DL

Max Effort Exercise
Hamstrings (low intensity/high volume) 3-4x8-15
Low Back 4x8-10
Abs- Crunch oriented 4x10-12

Thursday – Max Effort Bench Press

Max Effort Exercise
Triceps-Pulldowns 4x8-12
Shoulders-Raises 4x10-12
Lats/Upper Back-Pull ups/pull-downs  4x8-10

Saturday – Dynamic Squat/DL

Dynamic Squat

Week 1: 12x2/50%
            Week 2: 12x2/55%
            Week 3: 10x2/60%

Hamstrings/Quad Movement (low volume/high intensity) 3-4x5-10
Low Back 4x8-10
Abs-Oblique oriented 4x10-12

 

Have access to chains in my new gym, so that'll be nice.  No bands as of yet, but oh well.  Going to get some boards next week, so it's just rack lockouts for now.

Will be throwing in some grip and neck work.  Most likely on lower body day.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good man. Enjoy those chains, they are fun. Have fun with speed bench :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dude.  I'm thinking of rotating RE and DE work, but gonna stick with the basics for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, a lot of lifters would advise on switching one of those ME days with a light day so the two heavy days are not back to back with one another. Not a deal breaker or anything, but just something to avoid burning out.Also, I use a phone book for board presses. Might be useful if you want to save some money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured the day of rest between the two would be enough, but if I run into stagnation in the gym, I'll definitely give that a go.
    Good call on the phone books.  I'm still gonna grab some boards, just so I can get varying heights (2-5 boards), but the phone book would be a great temp solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, thats the exact split we use right now (pending travel/work/family plans, as our events have lately been on sundays). I think a day in between should be ok, but test it out yourself and see if you need it or not. Also, the board presses for your triceps may be swapped out for one or two all out full range sets with a submax weight(75% max or so for as many reps as you can). the boards are a lot more helpful for lifters who use shirts compared to those who dont. either way it certainly wont hurt as you will get used to use and handling heavier weights. But using heavy weights for a relatively same motion (bench vs boards) it could get redundant on your body fast so thats why i would suggest an RE type of motion there instead. Do you work out by yourself or with some guys? If you are by yourself I wouldn't use boards at all for safety reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip on the boards presses.  It's hard to piece together what info pertains to shirted benching and what pertains to raw sometimes.  For now, I might stick with some close grip bench or weighted dips as a core tricep movement for a few weeks and carry over into the RE stuff (DeFranco talked about that in his newest edition of WS4SB III, yeah?).   
    I have my wife that works out with me and a couple other buddies I can use if need be. 
    Thanks for looking out for me, both of you.  Much appreciated. 

    ReplyDelete