Monday, October 15, 2007

Training Log: Entry 477

Got tired of putting up with my gym's crap.  Today was the last straw.  The closed down the gym for a week with no warning for construction.  I went out and bought a 7ft Olympic bar and 390lbs of plates.  Already had an olympic bench, adjustable dumbbells, an EZ bar, and a ton of standard plates from a past life.  Much love to my wife for driving around with me for 2 hours and running into Play it Again Sports 3 mintues before closing and getting a great deal.

Set everything up in my garage and completed a DE upper body workout in a decent amount of time.  As I get the hang of all the plate changing, should be even faster.  Reminds me of when I devised my old "no machine routine" for the WS4SB template.

 

Today's workout
Speed bench of 165
8x3

Notes: Too much weight on first set (185).  Haven't actually lost much speed on my bench, despite lack of speed training.  Form is decent, bench is a little slippery though, so hard to keep myself planted into it.  Tuck elbows into side on way down.

Close grip bench of 205
4x6

Notes: Always have trouble pulling the bar apart on this movement, but otherwise, things went well. 

DB shoulder press w/50lb DBs
6,6,5,4

Notes: Haven't done DB work in a long time.  Stablizers need to be brought up, especially with my bum shoulder.  Lots of clicks and crunches on my joints.

Bent over BB rows of 135
8,6,6,6

Notes: Finally found out why I have such trouble with this movement.  I've been spacing my hands way too far apart.  Closer spacing=much better form, much better pull on my back.  Must remember this for the future.  Kept weight light to perfect form.

EZ bar curls of 75lbs
8,8,5

Notes: Hello, my name is Jared, and I suck at curls.  I have no range of motion on these.  My forearms get pumped way before my biceps, and then the two run into each other on the curl, and I get the motion about halfway up.  Biceps always fry early on these too.  Gonna drop the weight. 

4 comments:

  1. Gettin Diesel!Now all you need is a platform and a rack and you are set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO YOUR GYM WHEN IT OPENS, LOAD 585 LBS ON THE SQUAT RACK. THERE YOU CAN RACK PULL IT OFF AND DROP IT TO THE GROUND AND THEN RUN AWAY. SINCE ITS ALL 45 PLATES, THEY WILL HAVE TROUBLE TAKING EACH PLATE OFF ONE BY ONE, SO THEY HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO PICK IT UP THE ENTIRE THING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, look out there caps.Congrats on setting up a personal gym, that should make things much easier in the long haul, and save you the time of going to the gym.And I'm right there with you on the curls. I've never been able to do them really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaay for our new home gym!   All we need now is a power rack so I/we can do some squats ^_^.  I hope you like your new program.  I'm going to stick with mine until I can squat 175.  Love you!!

    ReplyDelete