Sunday, June 1, 2014

Training Log: Entry 1659

BIG NOTE:

Wife gave birth on the 29th.  Brought home a beautiful and healthy daughter.  Spent 2.5 days in the hospital, eating as well as I could and finished up my deload with 200 push ups, 100 chair overhead presses, and some towel dislocations.  Trying to get in as many workouts as I can while I have family in town to help.  After that, workouts may start getting abbreviated.

(25) Chain Suspended Seated Overhead Press 230
1x5

Notes: Couldn't really get a great set-up here.  See what happens next week.

5 minutes of chins
57+30

Notes: Worked sets of 8s, 4s and 2s this time, rather than trying for a big set at the start.  Seemed to work out much better.  30 later in the workout.

Closer Grip Bench 245+chains
5x10

Axle curls 65+miniband
5x10

Notes: I really need to get more disciplined on my curl training, but I honestly hate them and how they disturb my elbows.  I keep just doing random crap rather than sticking with anything.

Lateral raise/pull aparts

Notes: Starting doing some heavy cheating with the lateral raises.  Holding on to the side of the power rack and just swinging the arm.

Kroc Rows 150
17

Dips/Mechanical Advantage Drop Set push ups

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Humanity thanks you for doing your part in creating more strong beings. I still have to remind myself sometimes you're no longer an 18-year-old on GameFAQs.

    245 for 5 sets of 10 is pretty impressive, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. It's crazy how long this log has run and all the things I've done in that time. I try not to bring my personal life too much into it, but it's still fascinating to document all of these things. As for another strong human being, I am so proud of her for death gripping the scissors after I cut her umbilical cord. The doctor had to pry her fingers off, haha.

    And yeah, I'm getting too damn old, haha.

    Thanks for the kudos on the 245. It's worth keeping in mind that, like everything I do, it's not full ROM work. I'm only hitting right off the chest until my triceps take over, and then restarting the rep from there. I do maybe 2 full reps per set in total. All that really matters is my actual bench moving up, and this cycle I should be hitting an alltime PR of 350 from a deadstop with no eccentric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She sounds like a future Captains of Crush champion. Anytime a baby has held my finger or something I've always been surprised at their grip strength.

    Your dead-stop training sounds nice. I tried to get into pause benching exclusively but it wasn't playing nice with my pec-tendons, so even though I'm slated to bench 350 soon it won't be the same. I never let myself enjoy a bench PR because I get paranoid about whether there was any bounce or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chain suspension is really key in this experience. With pausing, there is still that inherent fear of "what if I don't make this" which can promote bouncing. Starting from the bottom while still suspended in chains really allows me to just give it my all, to include ugly form, one arm going before the other, only making it part way, etc. Really transformed by squats and bench.

      Delete