Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Training Log: Entry 1675

(4) Chain Suspended Bench Press 350
1x2

Notes: Not too sure if all the extra training is taking a toll or if it's just because I'm getting into the part of the ROM where things suck.  I'm going to ride this as long as I can, because I think I can still get a single out of this at full ROM, which would be a massive PR.

Chins 5 minutes
57+30

Notes: 57 in the first 5 minutes, 30 later in the workout

Axle push press 160
5x10

Notes: Things clicked today, and I think I'm getting a handle on this.  Instead of thinking "push", I'm thinking "heave".  Basically, my issue was that I used to control the weight on the way down and then try to explode up with it, but now I'm letting the weight push my legs down and then reacting to the force, similar to a touch and go bench where you try to bounce off your chest.  Gotta keep this in mind for the future.

T-bar rows 230
4x6


Pull aparts
200

Pushdowns
2x25

Notes: Using a light band instead of a mini.  Want to start ramping up my triceps for the sake of lockout.

Axle curls
2x30

2 comments:

  1. I remember something about you benching 365 with an ugly rep years back or something? Or are you counting paused reps now? I'm taking note of your observations with the push press, the descent has never felt right for me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did manage 365 about 6 years ago, but that was at a bodyweight of 217, with a very high arch, on my toes, touch and go. This would be at a bodyweight of 200lbs, almost flat back, deadstop and zero eccentric, while at the same time still beating my best competition bench. The bodyweight seems to be the biggest factor when I bench, but the positive here is that, if I can get this, I know I can get a competition bench of 350, because I'll even have the added bonus there of a slightly higher arch and an eccentric phase to store some energy.

      Hope that works well with the push press. It was really kind of eye opening for me today, and made all the reps move much smoother. I'm excited about being able to actually do some damage in that event. Only 1 clean makes it huge, haha.

      Delete