Friday, November 23, 2018

Training Log: Entry 2425

DEEP WATER INTERMEDIATE BRIDGE WORKOUT 12* (WEEK 3, WORKOUT 4)

LUNCHTIME WORKOUT

Texas Deadlift Bar touch and go deadlifts 368
1x12
8x11

Box jumps
5x10

Buffalo bar squats 225
1x20
1x10

Notes: 3:45 between sets.  Put an asterisk up because this was supposed to be the bench workout, but a slight audible called today.  Wife has company in town and schedule is getting a little adjusted, and I found myself with a large window of freetime so I decided to take it.  Kept the rest consistent between rounds: no struggling at the end.  I imagine a lunch time workout the day after Thanksgiving was a big part of it.  I've had zero high carb meals since starting the beginner program, so a day of moderate carbs with some dessert felt like rocket fuel.

I must admit I am a coward when it comes to box jumps.  Set up the plyo box again and found my mind's internal govenor preventend me from landing.  Just didn't have the confidence in it.  I have a plan though: I'm going to start from the horse stall mat next time to reduce the height slightly, and use a ROM progression approach to work up to the real height.  Focused on going for max height today with the jumps I did.

Squats looked awful, even for me. Feet were all jacked up.

Woke up at 201.0.  Need to focus on getting in more calories, as I'm soon approaching the hardest workout of the program.

4 comments:

  1. How are you doing those box jumps? I see a lot of people do them with more intent for social media than effective plyometric training. Specifically, tucking the feet up to land on a super high box, ala JJ Watt. If all you want is the explosive plyometric element, you can make it a lot easier to focus on that by not tucking your feet. Do the concentric extension, then keep your legs straight and land on the box with only a slight bend in your knees. You'll use a lower box, simplify the landing, and train explosive concentric extension just as, if not more, effectively by not compensating for lack of extension with extra leg/hip flexion.

    WR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not saying you're doing them for the likes, btw, just that that is the version most people are familiar with thanks to social media.

      WR

      Delete
    2. No worries dude: I don't follow enough social media to know to do that, haha. I don't think too terribly about it. I lend with pretty straightish legs. I keep a bend in the knee to absorb shock, but that's about it. My major focus is on trying to accelerate off my left leg. Ever since my physical therapy finished and my extension didn't match on either leg, my right leg tends to do the majority of the work, so I have to focus on NOT letting that happen. I'm also stepping down off the box, rather than jumping down off it, since the latter tends to really jar the knee pretty good.

      Delete
    3. Makes sense. I run into a lot of people who think box jumps have to be that super high box athletically impressive endeavor, when really a plyo is just a plyo and you can do fine with a simple variation.

      Delete