Thursday, October 15, 2020

 Training Log: Entry 2414


Ok, HUGE backlog of training here.


TUESDAY 


I finished up my daily training and took the dogs for a walk in the afternoon.  Wore my vest.  It was too hot for the oldest one to do the full distance: he stopped walking at the halfway point, so I carried him the rest of the way.  He's about 20ish pounds, so added resistance.  Then, later that evening, Mrs and I did a 5k powerwalk. You might chortle at the idea of powerwalking, but when you do it with someone that's run damn near 30 half marathons and 2 fulls, your butt will get left behind unless you keep up.  I had to cheat at a few points and jog to get back on pace.


WEDNESDAY


Dogs got me up at 0350.  Longest weighted vest walk so far.  We just keep pushing the distance.  The oldest one does just fine in the morning, while the weather is cool.


AM WORKOUT (0700ish)


(4) DB bench 105s

1x8

1x4 (pec/shoulder tweak)

1x7

1x6


Axle bench press 210+chains

1x10

1x7

RESTPAUSE

1x6+2+4(no chains)


(2) Close grip incline bench press 185

3x10


Underhand chins between sets of benching

2x11

10x10    


Dips (rest pause)

60+20+20+whatever else I did to get to 200+


Notes: Tweaked what I thought was my tricep initially but turned out to be my shoulder/pec getting the DBs into position on the second set, right side.  I dorked up my set up, and was too focused on getting my feet into place, and by doing that I wasn't able to kick the DB up like I normally do.  Trying to curl it into place proved a poor decision.  That said, all I have is pain, rather than dysfunction, and I felt like I COULD keep going at 4 reps, but ALSO felt like it could be the very thing to tear a muscle, so I cut that set short and did a quick re-evaluation.  I could keep moving, just with pain, so I kept it up.  It's a day later now, and I woke up swollen on that side, still have pain, but can also still move, so good enough.


2 HOURS LATER


1hr 45 min walk outside.  Had the day off work, and the weather was nice.  It'll be winter soon enough, and I can be cooped up then.  Tempted to wear the weighted vest, but I'm trying to learn some amount of moderation in life, and that not everything needs to be training.


Daily workout got done, minus the KB swings.  They seem to be beating up my hips too much after that deadlift workout.  Swapped it with bodyweight reverse hypers.  Pull ups are a little tough with the shoulder snag, so I've been taking my time and going slow on them.


Went to Golden Corral for dinner and absolutely destroyed it.  I actually ate a huge plate of veggies beforehand thinking it would do something to limit me, but my voracious appetite is back in full force.  It's honestly great to feel this way again.  I made much better choices than I normally do, sticking with white meats with a VERY small sampling (1 forkfull) of 3 different red meats (meatloaf, pot roast, and some sort of hamburger steak: I miss them all).  I ate a TON of sautaued peppers, onions and mushrooms.  They were amazing.  Also a large plate of salad.  I honestly can't seem to get enough veggies these days.


TODAY


0314 Wakeup (beat alarm by 1 minute)


Every minute on the minute, for 30 minutes

Odd minute: Front squats 3x190

Even minute: SSB squats 3x260


2 minute rest


Front squats 135

1x21


Chin-pulll apart-pushdown circuit (various grips on chins, no rest between circuits)

15

10

7

7

7

6


Notes: Still really digging this workout for getting in volume and conditioning.  5 extra pounds and doing it first thing in the morning definitely added challenge.  On set 30, I was pausing between reps on the SSB, and that let me know it was time to shut it down.  Did a "salt the earth" set with the front squat to put some polish on it.  After last night's nutritional debauchery, definitely no need for carb loading, so stuck with the breakfast of 1/4 donut and 2 hard boiled eggs.  



On the sleep front: gave my wife the job of calling me out on my nutrition.  It's been tough mentally transitioning from loss to gain, and I caught myself eating a meal of pure veggies before bed for 2 nights in a row and, consequently, waking up hungry/from hunger early in the morning.  Prior to that, I was eating a higher fat meal before bed (typically peanut butter) and sleeping longer.  So her job is to call me out if I don't eat my high fat meal before bed.  Right now, it's macadamia nuts: I had NO idea how awesome these things are.   Taste obviously, but they're also low carb/low protein and pretty much pure fat, and the fat is almost entirely monounsaturated fats.  Just crazy.

6 miles run with the Mrs.  In the afternoon, and then walked the dogs in the evening (no vest).  We went on a good pace on the run.  The treadmill makes me lazy: I made sure to actually focus on pushing off the floor with my feet here and it made the pace much stronger. 

2 comments:

  1. Been curious to try macadamia nuts but their price turned me off before (I think they were $18 a pound in the bulk section). They sound good though. Hope your pec/shoulder feels better and it's not a stubborn thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That price sounds about right. It's on the high side, but at this point, I'm spending a lot for what goes in my body. Quite a contrast from my very first blog entry where I logged my Nachos Bel Grande for lunch, haha. Man I miss Taco Bell.

      Appreciate the well wishes on the shoulder. It started showing some bruising today, so I tore something, but it feels fine. I'll just be cautious.

      Delete