Saturday, October 17, 2020

 Training Log: Entry 2415


0400 Wake Up (Dog was being a total rascal.  I was actually ready to sleep more, but with it being Saturday, I took the dog so the wife could get some more sleep)


Longest walk yet with the 45lb vest. Did it fasted.  Really proud of how well my oldest dog is doing.


Then


50 Rest Pause chins


40 pull aparts


25 pushdowns


50 bodyweight reverse hypers


Breakfast


20 Standing ab wheel


30 GHRs



PM WORKOUT (1330)


Max Effort Lower


(1) Elevated High Handle Trap Bar pulls

5x135

5x225

3x315

1x405

1x495

1x585

1x635 (shut it down here: right hip was being angry)


GIANT SETS (pull-row-chin-neck)-90 second rests between sets


Touch and go high handle trap bar lift 460

5x9


T-bar rows 3 plates

2x13

2x12

1x10


Chins (various grips)

4x8

1x5


Neck harness 55

11,10,9,8,8


90 second rest


T-bar row stripset

10x3 plates

10x2 plates

13x1 plate


D-handle lat pulldown (resting long enough between sets to put away a plate per side off the deadlift bar)

10x130

8x130

7x130


STRIPSET

10x130

6x120

6x120

7x110

10x90


1 minute rest


Tabata high handle trap bar lifts w/135lbs



Notes: Had to call an audible on the workout.  The hip is mostly healed, but I could feel it tweaking under the load, and knew that pushing it would result in the same thing as last week: blowing it all out on the first set and having nothing for the rest of the workout.  Wanted a decent workout today, so went heavy-ish, shut it down, and did extra rounds of the giant set.  Happy with that trade off.  The pain is interesting: it's not the lifting that triggers it: it's the setting down/racking the weight that does.  Something about relieving the load from my body puts the body through something.  It meant I had to take the eccentric VERY slow on the trap bar lifts, and even the t-bar rows I needed to be ginger on.


Man, if you think those tabata pulls suck when you're fresh, try hitting them at the END of a workout.  Great finisher.


Turned out I most likely DID tear a muscle the other day with that bench workout: the bruising is finally started to show through.  Similar to my hamstring: there was a delay.  I've already got a million great ideas on what to do with my bench workout for now, so no concerns there.  The shoulder feels great as is, but I can track some performance degrade in it.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting injury observation just because my right shoulder suffers something similar from farmers' walks. When I set the weight down, right at release, I feel some pain. Looking forward to what you come up with for your bench press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weird for sure. Wonder what's going on. It's like the load is holding all the connective tissue together.

      Couple ideas floating around for bench. One is to switch order of movements and put the DB press at the end rather than the beginning. I like that because it would allow me to totally annihilate myself at the end of the workout with rest pausing, slingshot and dropset. Alternatively, I can keep the DB pressing first and bring out the slingshot for later sets to get in some more rep work and keep the shoulder a little safe. Another option is to click the incline down each set to make things a little easier and get in more rep work from a variety of angles. And then I could always just combine all of that together as well.

      It's one of the things I love about injuries: suddenly the plan is gone and creativity can flow.

      Delete