Tuesday, July 4, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2994


Got up at 0700 because the dog was being a total pain.  She didn't sleep well with all the fireworks going off.  Took her downstairs to let my Valkyrie get her much deserved rest, did some Tabata squats and push ups while the dog had breakfast, and then went on a fasted walk.  Longer than usual: Kentucky Windage it to 2.5 miles.


Got home, Valkyrie whipped me up a warrior's breakfast of 2 omelets (2 eggs, 1 white) and lots of meat, and then we sailed off for adventure.  I sampled coffee at various locals for the majority of my hydration and caffeination, and we acquired many steps.  At some point through it all, I got in more push ups and bodyweight squats to reach daily goals.

I effectively fasted between my morning and evening meal, rather than my typical protein sparring modified fast.  As an aside: was listening to a Carnivore podcast the other day from a carnivore bodybuilder that spoke to a conclusion I drew: traditional fasting is popular in the carnivore community because most there are actively using the approach FOR fat loss because they're coming from it in an obese state.  For a lean athlete: PSFM is the preferred style of fasting.  A carnivore based one works (egg whites and lean cuts of meat), and my shake based one answers the mail as well.  Honestly good to close the chapter on that, and proof of concept regarding why it's usual to be accumulating info/perspectives.  That was one piece of info buried in 40 minutes of conversation, but a big piece.

I actually had a similar one in a Dan John podcast I was listening to while walking the dog: "LOADED carry" means carry WHILE under a load.  Wearing a weight vest would be "being under a load".  Hell, I've RECOMMENDED carries with a vest, and even done them before, but TOTALLY forgot about them while looking at Easy Strength.  Definitely going to feature that in.  I plan to do a write-up of my intended approach for this mash up soon.

 **BACK ON TOPIC**

While out, we hit up a used bookstore and I scored an AMAZING find of Jack Dempsey's "Championship Fighting", along with a "Viking Warrior Operations Manual" and a $3 book on Scandinavian Mythology.  





That's just plain ol' Kismet.  Literally buying that book re-light a fire in me to get back onto hitting a bag again.   I've got plans on working that into the training.

I also obtained a stupidly cheap single waffle maker.  It's made by the same company that makes the little griddle I bring on work trips, so I know it's legit.  One more attempt at chaffles is ahead of me.



We eventually obtained all the plunder we needed from our raiding and voyaging, so we feasted.  I discovered that the tavern of Buffalo Wings and Rings was offering SMOKED WINGS.  They sold them in 5s and 10s.  I asked if they could do 15.  They did 15.



I ate 15.  And the tips of the bones and all.




We eventually returned from our voyage as heroes, warmly greeted by our beloved animal companion as we unloaded the vessel with our loot.  At some point, I performed 25 burpees in celebration and the entire family engaged in a 3 mile walk outside in the warm sunlight, observing explosions of color and stardust all around us.

Upon my return, I prepared part of the next day's feast (the short ribs of a bovine rich in muscle) by using a sharp weapon to remove it's silver skin



---

At one point, during the day, I told my wife that, flat out, if you were to ask me to describe a perfect day, yesterday would have been it.  Some training, amazing food, lots of family time, some retail therapy, a lot of walking and a lot of peace.

2 comments: