Friday, July 17, 2015

DIET AND FUTURE TRAINING UPDATE

Originally posted this on t-nation, so the formatting is a little jacked up.

I finally dropped another pound, down to 196.4 this morning. Weight loss has been slow but consistent. I spent this entire week at 197, whereas prior to this I was bouncing between 197-200lbs, so I feel I've gained a handle on weight manipulation. I've unfortunately reached the point of weight loss where I now need to engage in portion control rather than simply improving the quality of what I eat. Needless to say, it sucks.

Here is a rundown of my current diet (I'll pick a training day, since I have more of those than non-training days).

0450 (Pre-training)
-Bowl of wild blueberries w/raw honey and sugar free coolwhip

0620 (Post training)
-2 scoops of protein powder in 12-16oz skim milk

0900
-Romaine salad w/4-6oz of meat and full fat Cesar dressing (about a half to ¾ serving size)
--Usually the meat is whatever was leftover from dinner the night before. I've put hamburger patties, steaks and tri tip on it. Sometimes, itâ??s just hardboiled eggs and bacon.
-16oz no/low carb monster (140mg caffeine)

1100
-12oz (ish) of meat (more leftovers) OR another romaine salad similar to above (but with some black beans and sour cream as well)
-16oz diet soda

1300
-44oz diet soda
-Quest protein bar

1630
-12-16oz of some sort of meat
-2 servings of broccoli
-Some crystal lite

1830
-Spoonful of natural peanut butter mixed with sugar free coolwhip

And throughout the day, I drink a gallon of water. End of the day, taking fish oil, creatine and glucosamine. On non-training days, I cut out the blueberries, but everything else stays the same. Saturday I have my cheat meal before deadlifting, but even with that I'm trying to keep it pretty clean. Basically just carbing up on potatoes if I get the chance, since I never eat them.

Writing that diet out looks terrible, haha. I'm eating like a POW. I honestly need to get a better handle on how carbs work. Right now I'm just stupidly doing the "CARBS BAD" thing, and it works for me, but I know I could do better. I also should eat more veggies. If nothing else, be good to stave off the hunger and get some more nutrients.

I'm really just losing fat out of vanity at this point. I turn 30 this year, and itâ??d be nice to know that I can still get lean if I want to, and Iâ??d like to spend some time putting on size without ending up a fatass, so itâ??d be good to start from a leanish base. Additionally, after getting that 3 year junk food binge out of my system after my last powerlifting meet, Iâ??m excited about the idea of being able to put on weight just by eating more meat, considering that's what was holding back my weight loss prior to this moment, haha. On the plus side though, at least I'll have zero issues making weight for my comp in Aug.



Trainingwise, I want to sketch out an off-season plan for when I decide to put on some quality weight. Just a few changes from my current approach, so I won't be going too into the weeds. 

BENCH DAY 
-Weighted chin warm-up 
-Matt Kroc's 16 week bench program 
--HEAVY low rep DB rows during bench warm-up sets and between shoulder work, band pull aparts during work sets 
-BB shoulder work. Alternate weeks between very light rehab work and heavier hypertrophy focused efforts. 
--Basically, 1 week is my 3 way shoulder circuit, 1 week more specific focus on heavier raises/pressing 
-Finish up with 1 big set of Kroc rows in the 30-40 rep range 

Notes: Only real change is going heavy on the DB rows during benching. Prior to this point, I was using the same weight I had been using for the Kroc row and just accumulating fatigue throughout the workout. Additionally, want to alternate the shoulder work. The rehab stuff has been HUGE for making my shoulders healthy and helping my press, so I want to keep it going, but I also want to drive on specifically making the shoulders bigger. I think I can get away with alternating. Might also consider chasing the bench work with 1 max set of dips, shooting for a PR each week. 


SQUAT DAY 
-ROM progression SSB squat w/backoff set 
-Reverse hyper/ab work superset (1 week ab wheel, 1 week GHR sit up) 
-Alternate each week between car deadlift and implement clean (keg, log, axle, sandbag, etc) 
--Possibly throw in carry medley 
-Neck harness 

Notes: Keeping with the SSB since it improves my deadlift/strongman lifts, but will change if needed. Biggest change will be alternating between car deadlift and implement cleans. I love the former, hate the latter, but want to be good at both. I may consider performing a carry medley on these days as well. Limiting factor is training early in the morning in my garage, I don't want to wake the neighbors taking stuff outside and throwing it around. Sandbag would be my only option most likely, but still a decent way to get a leg burn. Might even do an implement carry/lunge to get more lowerbody work in specifically. 


PRESS DAY 
-Skill day/Rep day/Heavy day press rotation 
-Pressing assistance 
--Considering rotating assistance movements/strategies (some weeks straight sets, some weeks dips w/rep goal) 
--Superset w/lat pulldowns (POSSIBLY include chins w/rep goal) 
-Arm work 
-Pull aparts throughout workout 

Notes: I?ve been missing chins, but ever since I switched to pulldowns my elbows have been completely painfree. I may need to start pushing the weight on these though, which will require strapping myself to my pulldown station since it doesn?t have a knee catch on it. Alternating pressing assistance should pay off pretty well. I'll probably need to get creative with the programming to elicit the hypertrophy I?m seeking. Most likely some sort of stupid dropset, maybe chase the mechanical advantage angle. 


EVENT DAY 
-Yoke/farmer's 
--Distance running 

Notes: My new work schedule allows me to workout on Friday mornings every other work or so, and I?m going to try to cram in my yoke/farmer's training at this spot. I think I?ve finally gained enough proficiency with the yoke that I don't need to train it every week, and the qualities that make a good yoke carry make a good farmer?s walk and vise versa. Begrudgingly, I'll most likely be performing some manner of distance running on these days for some weeks, as that's more what work is expecting from me, but it's probably not the worse thing in the world. 

DEADLIFT DAY 
-ROM progression deadlifts 
--Yoke (if not accomplished on events day due to running) 
-Grip training 
-Dumb squat workout of some variety 

Notes: I'm just pleased with this day in general. Just have to keep getting creative and stupid with the squat workout at the end. I suppose I could think about doing some GHRs just to add a little volume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment