Thursday, July 30, 2015

Training Log: Entry 1903


Axle Clean and Press (clean once) 223lbs
1x6
1x4

Notes: Using my new Rogue axle. Weighs 25lbs and is powder coated, so some slight differences from what I was training with before. Very easy to grip. Was going for 8 reps, but misgrooved the very first rep and had to fight to press it out. Just was out of rhythm for the day. Still, not a bad "mediocre" performance. Shoulders no longer feel beat up from dips, think my body is adapting to the workload.

DB Incline Press 105
(4) 1x9
(3) 1x9
(2) 1x8
(1) 1x7
(0) 1x7 w/reactive slingshot

superset w/

GB Lat Pulldown 110
5x10

superset w/

Band pull aparts
5x20

Notes: Still on the fence with the reactive slingshot. It really beats up my right elbow for some reason. Really liking what I'm doing with the incline bench though, and my numbers are improving quickly on it compared to my previous efforts.


Axle curl stripset
100 reps

Band pushdown dropset
30xAverage band
25xLight band
20xMini band

Notes: I'm such a child, but I need gimmicks to get me to do arm work. The band dropset was fun. Had all 3 bands set up on the power rack and just hopped straight from one to the other. The axle curls really blew up my biceps something fierce.


General notes: Another great training session. Been having a lot of these in a row recently. It's funny how when I started strongman I loved the log and hated the axle, and now it's the other way around. Woke up at 196.0, but yesterday's nutrition wasn't the greatest, so I'm ok with that. Already excited for this contest to be over so I can really push my overhead in some stupid heavy directions.

2 comments:

  1. Is the axle nice enough to get one over a Home Depot pipe? Now that my wrists are healthy I'm keen on going some clean and press training. Even if not it must be nice to get one with all your new gear.

    By the way, how's the circus dumbbell faring? Is it lasting you?

    And I have to say...223 for reps seems pretty impressive. But I just suck at repping cleans, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I didn't get the axle in a bundle, I would've just kept the pipe. This axle is super cool, but not $70 worth of cool, which is the difference in price not counting shipping. That said, I was only using the pipe for pressing, and had no idea how much it could handle for deadlifts if I ever wanted to use it for that, but otherwise, the pipe worked really well.

      My Home Depot bucket bell has survived 4 workouts. It's cracking pretty bad right now and covered in gorilla tape, but that's just because I was lazy and left it loaded with the plates instead of taking them out in between sessions. If I took better care of it, I think it would last a LONG time, and next time I have a contest with a Circus Dumbbell event, I'm just going to rebuild it and take care of it.

      And thanks for the compliment. I really am excited about pushing the weight on these. I'm also terrible on the cleans, haha. It's why I only clean once. I'll have to work a few clean each rep days though.

      Delete