Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Training Log: Entry 2583

PM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar Squats
5xBar
5x140
3x230
1x320
1x370

REST PAUSE (12 deep breaths between sets)
7x410
4x410
2x410
1x410
9x320
5x320
3x320
2x320
1x320

SUPERSETS (shrug-hyper)

Deadlift Stance Barbell shrugs
12x405
10x475
6x525
6x525

Reverse hyper 360
4x15

Notes: 2:00 between giant sets.  The instant I got under the bar for the topset of squats, I had the thought of "why do I ever stop doing this?"  This protocol ALWAYS works for me.  Most likely I stop doing it because it sucks, but it always works, and it works FAST.  It was weird, as my traps and upper back were absolutely killing me from the 55 reper I did on the trap bar, but my legs were still fresh, so it'd take all my energy to unrack the bar and then I'd just shoot like a rocket out of the bottom of the lift.

I know  Denver squats are when they're mile high, so I'm gonna call these Detroit squats, because they were dirty, rock-bottom, and there was no bail out.


I still wanna make this a 2 a day to get some more work in, but today was a decent proof of concept.  Shrugs are a great humbler to me, because I may be able to rep 600 on deads, but you put me in a partial pull like that and I'm a complete wimp.  I'd start the sets off strict and switch to power shrugs once I ran out of reps, and the last 2 sets were ugly.  I also bent the holy hell out of my cheap barbell, so now I have TWO cambered bars, but this one is gonna stay exclusively a shrug bar.  I might switch to an axle in the future to keep this from happening. 

Significantly dropped the weight on the hypers because my back was blown up from squats.  That said, my recovery is absolutely on point, as that squat workout used to floor me for about a half hour, and now I just loaded up all my weights for everything else and then laid on my back for 4 minutes with my legs up.

I'm feeling like I fixed my squat programming issue for now.  I think, fundamentally, I didn't like having a program where I wasn't able to unplug if I needed to.  The ramping giant sets were effective, they worked, but I was basically locked in to that workout once it started.  If I got interrupted in the middle of it and had to stop, it was basically wasted time, as I hadn't built up to my top weight.  With this program broken into parts, I can divide it as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment