Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Training Log: Entry 2598

YESTERDAY'S AM WORKOUT PART II

SUPERSET (press-chin)

Axle strict press
5xAxle
5x66
3x171
3x196
9x221 (PR of some sort)

9x196

NG Chins (various grips)
3x9
3x8

DB rows 105
1x22


TODAY'S AM WORKOUT

GIANT SETS (press-dip-raise-pull aparts.  Sets 1 and 4: trap bar.  Sets 2 and 5: axle. Sets 3 and 6: log)

Trap bar press 145
2x10

Axle strict press 186
2x10

Log clean and press away 175
2x10

Dips
6xFailure

DB raise 25
6x15

Band pull aparts
6x13

Notes: 3:45 between heavy presses.  2:00 between giant sets.  Holy cow that topset press was amazing.  I set my sights on 10, told myself it would be ridiculous, and then still hammered out 9, with a real potential for 10 if I actually had technique dialed in for the whole set.  Every week I manage to impress myself with how strong my press is getting.  It's a bit of a bittersweet victory, as I keep wanting to get back to Deep Water, but things are going WAY too well to abandon course at this point.  I've really stumbled onto something awesome here.

It also dawned on me that my backoff set is something that I would've been VERY pleased to hit as a topset not that long ago.  Just insane.

Work schedule is screwy this week, so I'm playing catch up with training.  I'm still a day behind, and will be that way until Saturday at this rate, but will then get back on track.

The giant sets went very well, and it's the first workout in a while where I hit all reps on all movements.  Log felt really dialed in.  I may start wearing a belt on the trap bar pressing soon.

Stepped on the scale yesterday for the first time in a while and saw 209lbs.  That wasn't first thing in the morning, and I had a few meals and drinks in me, but it's still a good weight to be at, and definite progression.  I've been slowly and steadily adding more calories as I go, and though I look like a mess by the end of the day, I'm still pretty lean in the mornings.  Can still fit into my old belt hole spacings, but it is more cramped than before.  All in all, moving in the right direction.

2 comments:

  1. Freakish pressing strength, a trend I've been noticing for awhile. I look forward to seeing a 300lb 1RM some day from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! Yeah, I'm riding some crazy press strength wave. 300 has been a longtime goal, and it's starting to look a little more possible.

      Delete