Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Training Log: Entry 1864

AM Workout

(11) Chain Suspended Safety Squat Bar Squats
3x435+chains
9x345+chains

Notes: This is the best sustained progress I've had on a squat cycle in a LONG time. Have to credit the backoff set with dead stop work. If I ever transition back to barbell squats, I'll have to remember to include that. Would really love to get this up to 500 for a single off chains. I feel like that would translate into inhuman levels of strength for a lot of my other movements.


GHR sit ups w/25lb plate
1x6


Notes: Had to cut it short again. Will finish the rest on my lunch break or after work.


Nutritionally, still holding strong, and physique is looking slightly improved. Along with switching my fruit meal to first thing, I'm also trying to cut down on my caffeine intake and drink more water. Just some quality of life improvements.





PM workout

Reverse hyper 410
2x8
1x12

Superset w/

GHR sit ups w/25lbs
3x6

Notes: Running out of room soon on the reverse hyper.


Car deadlift simulator 6 plates
1x15
2x10

Notes: Really loving this movement. Need to buy some more 45s, and thinner too.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the squats. Is squatting from chains a lot harder than not doing a dead-stop? I remember when doing pin presses off of a rack it was easier than normal benching, but I also tried squatting off the bars a few times and it was hard to get my back centered properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chains make it easier to get into position compared to trying to squat off pins. However, the difficulty exists in there not being any eccentric phase, both in terms of stretch reflex and also simply loading the muscles. Breaking the weight off the chains/pins takes a ton of effort, and once that gets done, the rest of the lift is pretty smooth sailing.

      I actually like the SSB in that regard, because sometimes you can expend so much effort getting the bar to break off the chains that, when it finally starts moving, your body goes all over the place. I had a lot of instances with the straight bar where I would break the weight and then just end up falling forward and crashing. With the SSB, I can just man handle the weight up after it breaks the inertia. It really SUCKS to do that, but it's possible.


      All THAT being said, I still have an easier time with this than I did with box squats. I had a lot of moments where I'd sit on the box and just be stapled. I feel like that's really unforgiving, and the box squat itself would probably be pretty beneficial for a lot of strongman stuff. If I wasn't a wimp, I'd start doing it again, haha.

      Delete