Saturday, June 13, 2015

Training Log: Entry 1871

Deadlifts 570+chains
1x9(ish)

https://youtu.be/qTHYp1CBikg


The last rep wasn't locked out, but it's something I could've managed if I was willing to be stupid.  Got 7 reps in one breath.  Felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my skull.  Really wanted 10, but this is still a great rate of progression.


DOH holds 405+chains
50 seconds


Squats 455
1x6
1x5
1x3
1x2 (pop)

Notes: Felt my let hamstring crunch on that last set, so called it.  Think I re-pulled my hamstring.  Thankfully, I know how to treat old injuries.  It's a deload week, and I got a future of bodyweight squats ahead of me.  Going to hit up the GHR something fierce too.  If it's still bugging me after a week, going to swap out all my squats with front squats, so I can use less weight on my back.  May also hit up reverse band squats too, as they are a proven success while injured.



As an aside, bought 2 100lb plates today at Play it Again sports for $100.  Plan is to use them on the yoke, car deadlift simulator, and reverse hyper, due to their heavy weight with less space compared to equal amounts 45s.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing. Rest pausing at the top of a deadlift rep is something I haven't seen before, haha.

    You lean back pretty far at the top whereas I had learned to try and avoid that to minimize the range of motion. I imagine you pretty much have to at a maximum effort with hitching, huh? Like, you're not really trying to complicate things and mentally gauge that when you're deadlifting, you're just pulling hard and stopping wherever you end up at the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated. I think Super Squats talked about a 20 rep deadlift program where you rest at the top. It sucks hanging out there, but it's the only place to catch your breath, haha.

      I think the perceived backwards lean is a byproduct of the chains. They've taught me to really wrench my hips as hard as I can, and I'm most likely just sprinting past the finish line at the end of the rep.

      It may seem like wasted energy, but what I've found is that higher rep deadlifts are more a speed game than anything else. Overclocking the hips means that the rep moves faster than if I try to be more conservative, which means I can get in more reps in one breath, which in turn is crucial to my success. It's pretty much that whole "race past the sticking point" idea.

      Delete