Thursday, April 8, 2021

 Training Log: Entry 2388


WEDNESDAY


BUILDING THE MONOLITH Week 1, Workout 3


AM WORKOUT (0310 wake up via alarm)


Once again, will write out the work, then detail it in the notes


DB rows 90

1x20

1x18

1x16

1x14

1x15


Texas Deadlift bar Touch and Go deadlifts

5x135

5x225

5x365

5x420

3x5x470


Axle bench press

5xAxle

5x136

5x206

5x231

5x5x261


Poundstone curls

101xAxle+5lbs


Total time: 1hr 5min


POST WORKOUT SHAKE


30 GHRs

10 neck bridges each way


Notes: Here’s how this shook out: start the workout with the following giant set with only plate change rest


Row-dead-bench


Once I finished the 4th set of rows, I was at the work sets for deads and bench and didn’t want to come into them with any fatigue from rows, so I moved the final set of rows to the end and switched to a superset of


Dead-bench


With about 2 min rest between giant sets, but no rest between the two movements. Hit the dead, go straight to the bench. Once the third superset was done, I was definitely feeling the fatigue, so I kept it to sets of bench with about 2 min rest between sets to finish the last 2 sets.


After that, I originally planned to do a set of Kroc rows for the final set of rows, but figured that’d put me in a poor place for Poundstone curls. It also let me wonder if I should have a rule of only ONE named exercise per workout to keep me honest (Kelso shrugs, Yates rows, kroc rows, meadows rows, Poundstone curls, Z-press, etc etc). Might be an interesting policy.


But anyway, hit the final set of rows, cleaned up the weight room for a rest period, then hit the Poundstone curls. Final time was 1hr and 5min.


NOW, I was dragging during this workout, and for good reason: I worked an 8 hour shift from 1400-2200, got home, got in bed around 2240, saw my alarm clock tell me I was getting 4hr and 29min of sleep at that point, got up when it went off, pounded 2 eggs/1egg white, a 4oz elk burger, half an avocado and a keto waffle with sunbutter and got after it. It was one of those workouts that you just hold on and try to survive. The deads were the most daunting, and I treated it like a distance run: telling myself little lies along the way to keep me going.


Gotta get in the daily work, and then got my first Tang Soo Do class later tonight. Perhaps some sort of Tabata something along the way, and then Juarez valley tomorrow morning at way too early to start it all over again.


“I wake up/on the floor/start it up again/like it matters any more/I don’t know/if it does/is this really all/that there ever was?”


PM WORKOUT (1400)


Fran+ (95lb thrusters, strict chins)

21

15

9


Time: 4:18 (PR or close to it)


Lateral raises (no rest)

20x10lbs

20x5

20x2.5

20xUnloaded


Tang Soo Do class at 1915


Notes: I’m shocked at that time with Fran, because I was sucking wind and misgrooving reps, but apparently I brute forced my way into a fast time. I’m really digging the shape I’m in these days.


For Tang Soo Do, they were really cool with the wife and I, and actually made the class a focus on basics for us. Went over low block, middle punch, high block, front kick, clinch and knee and side kick, along with front stance and “fighting stance”, which I’ve known as back stance.


My background shone through and I got asked “do you have any previous martial arts experience?” I just said “yes” and left it at that. I’m trying really hard to get the white belt experience here: I don’t want to be treated special.


I’m moving WAY too stiff. I’ve had this issue for a bit. In lifting, you want to keep your whole body as stiff and tight as possible to transfer as much power as possible and have no leaks, but in martial arts you wanna save that tightness until the very end and otherwise move fluid. My muscles were tense as hell during the whole thing, like I was posing. Something I gotta watch for.


We learned our first form all the way through, so I got that to work on.


Beginning of class warm-up was a nice circuit of some push ups and ab work. Not much stretching, which was nice.

2 comments:

  1. Mentioned that bit about tension in lifting vs martial arts to my Muay Thai coach once and he remarked that that's interesting. Looking forward to reading about more martial arts training from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely different skillsets. Olympic lifts and kettlebells seem to strike the necessary middle ground. I'm excited to see where this goes.

      Delete