Monday, August 22, 2022

 Training Log: Entry 2517


AM WORKOUT (0325 natural wake up) FASTED

**EAT THE BIG ELEPHANT FIRST: 10k SWING CHALLENGE IN 7 DAYS**

22 KB swings w/24kgb bell, EMOM for 65 minutes





**POST WORKOUT SHAKE**


50 burpee chins in 5:57

20 standing ab wheels

40x90 Reverse hypers

50 pull aparts

25 pushdowns

100x5lb “chaos curls”

30 GHRs


Notes:

* It looks like this is for real. The pilot run yesterday was valuable, and I woke up this morning feeling fine enough. All my connective tissue aches from the hard training but the swings from yesterday honestly seem tonic, and they don’t bug anything that hurts, so this honestly may be a bit of kismet. I’ve always wanted to take on this challenge and just didn’t have the schedule flexibility for it, and now my hand is forced.

* The workout itself honestly wasn’t awful. It’s an endurance race, and toward round 50 I wasn’t feeling happy, but I was never winded, just felt the heart rate tick up. Planning on taking it to 24 reps per round next time so I can shave it down to 60 rounds. That’s 1440 vs 1430, which will mean finishing with 10070 when it’s over…or I can save 70 reps somewhere down the road. Although having those extra 70 there can honestly be decent “miscount insurance”. Very fair chance the reps per round will keep ticking up anyway: chaos is the plan.

* Some things that pilot run taught me: despite all my “armor building”, I needed armor for this. You can see the mechanic gloves I’m wearing, and I’m glad I bought a 3 pack, because they’re soaked from this. I’m also wearing some fight shorts on top of my traditional strongman shorts, because I’ve found that my wrists/forearms will run raw against the material otherwise. And I have my belt on for a similar reason. Basically, anywhere that’s a touch point needs to be covered with extra material, because 1000+ reps will find the weak points in your skin. I STILL got a small hot spot on my ring finger through it all, which means, absent the armor, I would have been shredded.

* Really tried to focus on being explosive and snapping the bell down, but the workout is so long that it’s easy to lose focus.

* Yes: I am playing Rival Son’s “Keep on Swinging” on a loop for 65 minutes, because that’s funny.

* Pleased with the intensity I brought to the burpee chins after the fact. I was gassed. And my plan for later is to hit up legit TABEARTA later for my 4 minute insanity. Burpee chins and TABEARTA definitely answer any of the questions that the 10k swing challenge asks.

* The "Chaos curls" were just me using a whole bunch of wild angles to try to get my left bicep to remember how to contract and work through some of it's pain.  I am curious if I experienced some sort of nerve damage or perhaps some sort of tearing, as it's hard to contract the muscle fully at present, but it seems to be healing a bit more each day.

* Treating nutrition like a diet break this week. Not going to force feed, but will respond to hunger. I’m thinking a fasted hour of swinging a kettlebell will generate a touch of that.

* The program name: a tribute to Dan’s “Mass Made Simple” advice combined into one. I was legit thinking about making this program a combination of a bunch of bad Dan John ideas, and including Tabata thrusters as well, but I think TABEARTA is close enough.


PM WORKOUT (1610)


TABEARTA, 3 complexes per round


Notes: This is still fantastically awful, and rounds out the long slow burn of the swings.


I am feeling particularly fatigued right now, but part of that might be the herculean-esque load of dishes I took on after dinner.  Definitely Augean Stables level.  Which reminds me that I want to name a workout or series of workouts after the 12 labors.


I'm thinking shorter rounds vs more swings tomorrow.  Staying at 10010 is a bit more pleasing.  Oh man, now I think I might need to swing to this song




No comments:

Post a Comment