Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Training Log: Entry 2504

PM WORKOUT

Buffalo Bar squats
5xBar
5x140
3x210
5x10x280

250+lb sandbag bearhug and carry
5 rounds

Dips
5x28

Notes: Did this as a bit of a primer/test run for the Deep Water training.  Few lessons learned.  I warmed up with giant sets of squat-sandbag-dip, and that sandbag kicked my butt something fierce.  Once I hit the worksets of the squats, I tried to mitigate the fatigue by transitioning from giantsets to supersets, and just going squat-sandbag-squat-dip, but the damage was done, and by set 5 my lowerback was so pumped I just didn't have anything in me. 

Going to develop some alternative COAs here.  First thing is I'm going to use a training max rather than an actual max for the squat.  This will drop working weight down to 240, which will be a little more manageable.  In addition, I think I'm going to move those sandbag carries onto my press day and the reverse hypers onto this day.  I know reverse hypers and squats sound like they'll be the source of even more lowerback pump issues, but I think being able to control the loading will make this more viable.  Third plan is to quit being so goddamn efficient and not get gassed in my warm-ups.  I'm going to stick with light stuff like pull aparts and curls or maybe some ab work, and then save the heavy stuff for in between the worksets. I think it's basically going to be a race to beat the fatigue before it sets in, and if I load it all at the end, I'll manage.

Other thought would be to move the log cleans to the squat day and the reverse hypers to bench day.  I feel like they'll both suck either way.

I think some smart execution paired with some increased calories will make this work.  If nothing else, it's lit a fire under me to figure it out.  This training was awful, I was basically melting in my garage, and I felt beat.  It's the challenge I need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment