Saturday, May 26, 2018

Training Log: Entry 2511

MURPH HERO WOD

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 squats
1 mile run

All with 21lb vest

Time-1 hour 6 minutes

Notes: Last year I did this without a vest, since I didn't have one.  Made a point of getting on this year.  Ran this RX, so the run, then all the pull ups, all the push ups, all the squats, and the mile run.  I know you can break it up, but since this is a memorial WOD celebrating a hero, I figured it was worth doing it the most painful way possible.
 Same reason I went "high school football practice" mode and drank no water during.


Did this while visiting my in-laws in Denver, so elevation was a slight factor, although in truth the whole thing sucks so much it's hard to say what in particular is the issue.  I actually felt better this year than last year; think I was better conditioned for it.  Ran the first mile in 8:36, took around 13 minutes to do the pull ups, started the squats around the 34 minute mark, and started the run around 54 minutes.

Started off the pull-ups with sets of 10 until I got to 50, then sets of 5.  Did 12 deep breaths between sets.  Push ups was a set of 25, then a set of 20, then lots of 10s, 9s and 8s.  Squats was 2 sets of 30 and a set of 40 to get 100s.  12 deep breaths between sets again.

Run was on a bit of a trail.  Sharp elevations and downhills.

Really proud of my Wife; on a whim, she decided to join me.  She did the run, push ups from her knees and all the squats.  We got to suffer together.


Just as an aside, I've been doing 1 set of 100+ push ups and 100 band pull aparts a day prior to this, and am planning on continuing it.  It's a deload, but this has been good for getting blood flowing through my body.  I'm making a point to not exert myself on the push-ups, so I'll go until I feel like I need to grind out a rep and then I'll stop.  Staying away from lockout and just keeping tension in the muscles.  I really want to get some solid hypertrophy for this training block, and I'm thinking spamming volume will be the solution.  Now that all my running obligations are gone, I can let the bodyweight rise a little.

2 comments:

  1. That looked utterly miserable and then I got to the weight vest part. Especially the squats. Awesome work from both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. This has become something of a memorial day tradition, and it's been a great way to suffer a little and reflect.

      Delete