Monday, November 6, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 3098

AM WORKOUT (0425 wake up via alarm, very good night of sleep)


**CHAOS IS THE PLAN: THE CIMMERIAN CHRONICLE** Week 3, Workout 1






**40 minutes of overhead work**


SUPERSET (Press/Chin)


Axle continental and strict press away

5x146

5x156

5x166


Chins

3x5 w/chains


GIANT SETS (Press-chin/ab/neck-pulls)


Axle clean and strict press away

50 reps w/123lbs in 7 sets (misloaded, should have been 113, used the Malcolm X method to get the total)


Axle clean each rep and strict press

5x5x123 (by set 2 I realized the misload and just stuck with it)


Chins

5x7


Wheel of Pain

4x7


Neck harness

3 sets


Band pull aparts

10x11



**10% Corollary**


Breathing Squats

20x250 w/pull overs





25 Conan Curls

25 pushdowns

11 Tree of Woe shrugs

5 full ROM lateral raises



Breakfast


50lb weighted vest walk w/wolf



Notes:


* I can feel the lack of resiliency training this deep into the famine.  Ended up not getting a carb up meal yesterday.  Mrs ran her half-marathon and I felt like the last thing she needed was to be up on her feet in the kitchen whipping up a feast for us, so we did a pizza and wings run and watched the cowboys game.  So yesterday I had Metabolic Drive, egg whites, gelatin and electrolytes for breakfast, half a rack of pork ribs with some eggs/egg whites and pork rinds for lunch, and 10 wings w/eggs/egg whites and pork rinds for dinner, with a Metabolic Drive/egg white meal before bed.  Absolutely delicious and soul satisfying, but definitely not the cure for flatness.  I’ll ride the famine hard until about midweek this week, at which point we’re going to have multiple feasting opportunities and I’m going to live it up.  All this to say: came into the gym really not “feeling” the training.


* Can see some of the brainfog in the misload there.  I was curious why my supplemental work was feeling so heavy, but attributed it to the light rations.  Once I realized I had loaded the 5lb plate twice, it clicked, and then I celebrated how hard I worked to get there.  I’m sure that’ll make me grow.


* The very first squat of the breathing squats felt absolutely awful.  Apparently yesterday’s Riddle of Steel had me a little sore.  Once I got things moving, around rep 7 or so, it felt real smooth.  Crazy to see the growth on this while the food is so light: once the feast starts it’s really going to be pretty magical.


* 2 weeks in I’m noticing that my obliques are widening/thickening, yet given how the veins have shown up on them I know it’s not a result of adipose tissue accumulation.  It makes sense, and I’ve observed this similar phenomenon whenever I prioritize kettlebell work: putting stuff overhead a lot requires a thicker core to support it.  You notice the thick obliques on greek statues, and pressing overhead was the primarily form of training for strength in that era.  My shoulders/traps are growing well.  I am remaining quite lean.  Arms are showing some signs of growth/thickening as well.  Ultimately, it’s been a solid experience so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment