Thursday, January 20, 2022

 Training Log: Entry 2666


AM WORKOUT (0327 wake up via dog)


SUPERSETS (press-chin)


Log clean and strict press away

5xLog

5x120

5x140

5x160

5x180

6x195 (1 rep and 5lb PR from previous cycle)


Axle clean and strict press away w/rest pause

16+5+6x141


Weighted NG chins 35lbs

7x8


GIANT SETS (press odd sets/dips even sets-dip-raise-pull)


Trap bar press 145

2x10

1x8


Weighted dips 90

3x10


Dips

6xF


DB lateral raise 20lb

3x11

3x10


Band pull aparts

6x15


Kroc rows 115

1x19


POST WORKOUT SHAKE


CONDITIONING


“TABEARTA”


20 rounds of Bear Complexes w/95lbs at 20 seconds on/10 seconds off


Notes: Got to bed late last night. Worked a 12 then went straight to Tang Soo Do. Wife and I both got another set of stripes on our belts, so we’re one away from being testing eligible again, and we’ve already got that criteria down. Our instructor actually told me last night “Maybe we’ll eventually find some curriculum to slow you two down”, as we’ve gone from the most junior students in the class to third most senior. I honestly was riding the struggle bus all class: my 12 drained me mentally, and trying to remember my Korean vocab while coordinating my left and right was causing some misfires in the synapses. But good to know I still got it when I need it.


Despite all that and the dog waking me up this morning, I felt refreshed and charged up. Went conservative with the topset and got a little chipshot PR, and it was awesome. 5 strong reps and the one shaky, grindy “press with every muscle you have and hold the lockout for 15 seconds just to make sure you have it” rep. Good to find that back in myself.


Ran into a weird sensation on the trap bar press of something in my forearm snapping on the eccentric. This happens whenever I do a lot of trap bar pressing. It’s not problematic: just weird. Something in the connective tissue.


I recently adjusted my Inzer belt so it would fit over my Slingshot strongman belt. It’s a bit looser than what I had before, but gives me more coverage around the core, which is nice for log cleans. Less pinching.


TABEARTA is always exactly what I need and I hate it. Really focusing on being explosive out of the squats.


Was thinking on the drive over how so much of what I’m doing these days is “floor raising” vs “ceiling raising”. I have no idea what my maxes are, I’m not pushing into new territories often, but my “on demand” performance is just getting nutty. I see it in how little I need to eat before training, how my warm-ups are pretty non-existent, and how I’m hammering the same muscles every day. So much of my training is based around being just as strong at the end as I was when I started. I feel like this is a solid evolution as I age. Spend the 20s raising that ceiling, spend the 30s getting the floor to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment