Tuesday, September 13, 2022

 Training Log: Entry 2539


AM WORKOUT (0330 natural wake up)


**5/3/1 FOR HARDGAINERS** Week 3, Workout 2


**MAIN WORK**


Log clean once and press away

5xLog

5x140

5x160

5x180


Superset w/5x10 band pull aparts


**SUPPLEMENETAL/ASSISTANCE**


10 rounds of


* Axle clean and rep and strict press 140lbs

* 5 chins

* 10 dips


Done in 20:58.  Had to switch the press out of rack for the last 2 sets, as my bicep/forearm experienced another tweak.  Had to strip the weights and reload the axle in the downtime, which was fun under time constraints.


**PROWLER**


* Low handles there and back w/50

* High handles there and back w/90

* Backwards drag there and back w/140 (harness malfunction)

* Unloaded there low handles, back high handles


Time: 22:20

**POST WORKOUT SHAKE**

Poundstone curls

226xAxle


Notes:

* Bicep held out well for the most part.  Was able to get 180 from the floor by moving slow.  Got greedy trying to move too quick on the supplemental and paid for it.  I think I have 2 injuries I’m dealing with: one in the forearm flexor and one in the bicep, which confounds things.  I felt the forearm on this one, and then the bicep went after that.  Still no bruising, which is what leads me to think I haven’t torn anything yet, but it’s frustrating dealing with the little nagging issues.  Still got in a very solid training effect with this.

* Prowler harness was annoying, but triage worked well enough.  Still gassed out.

* The Poundstones felt therapeutic.  Good to get blood flowing.



PM WORKOUT


TABEARTA, 3 complexes per round


I am thinking I tore something in my bicep, but the lack of bruising is the only thing having me feel otherwise.  The muscle feels shorter, and stretching it out really helps it feel better.  I had a similar experience with something in my hip.  So perhaps I tore the muscle itself rather than the tendon.  


But in either sense, I am getting pretty beat up, and it's making me think about my future training plan.  Originally, I was going to do a 7 week diet break and get back into BBB Beefcake-BTM-Deep Water, but part of me is wondering if getting back to Beefcake will cause me to push myself in directions my body won't go.  I have a lot of previously established PRs associated with that protocol, and the temptation to chase after them is going to be big.


So part of me is thinking about changing gears, and Super Squats is appealing to me.  I think I can get over my need to drink a gallon of milk a day while running it, but in order to do so I'm gonna need to make it Super Squats "my way".  And for that, I'm trying to think of what I'd do to stack on a challenge on top of the challenge.


I'm leaning between running a program concurrent with Super Squats, like the 10k swing challenge, or running Super Squats 4 days a week vs 3.  


Another option I've considered is running Dan John's Mass Made Simple program using the heaviest weights vs weight class appropriate ones.  I feel like I'd use a press vs a bench for that program.


DoggCrapp also appeals to me, but a 6 week cycle would be too short.  I'd have to run it for at least 12, and even that is bare minimum.


I also have a bunch of other programs available to look into as well.  Chaos, as always, is the plan.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Mythicalstrength, for yourself, what would signal "I need to go get checked out by a doctor" rather than "I'll just get blood pumping through this to heal." I know you've had tears before but you don't seem to go get checked out for all of them right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dysfunction is the biggest thing for me. When I tore my tricep recently, I could still move the arm through space, I could still do my daily activities, and, if push came to shove, I could force the muscle to do what I needed it to do (it would just be a VERY bad idea). When I ruptured my ACL, my knee was done. I couldn't force it to cooperate.

      Delete
  2. I would be interested to see how you get on with DC! Any thoughts on how you'd do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd run it just like I did before, haha. Although I'd use my home gym vs breaking into a commercial one. I have enough toys now for at least a few cycles of it.

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the write up on your previous run through of dc - link?

      Delete
    3. No write up. I did it around 2010, if you wanna dig through the log

      Delete
    4. Actually, here is day 1. https://forged-by-iron.blogspot.com/2011/01/training-log-entry-939-first-breakin.html?m=0

      Delete
    5. Appreciate having you along for the ride dude!

      Delete
  3. I know you like what you like and have no motivation to try out something new if you don't know you'll like it, but I do wish you'd give the SBS-Hypertrophy program a try someday! It's solid and challenging! Nuckols knows his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to. We'll see though. I'm just as bad with music as I am with training. My XM radio stations are ALL 90s, haha.

      Delete