Saturday, September 24, 2022

 Training Log: Entry 2549


Quick after action report: I’ve gotten in 1 tabata workout where I’d do a 5 count burpee with a squat and then hold 10 seconds in the plank position on the down portion, 100 burpees in 5:35 after getting in 19 before getting interrupted, 100 push ups, 50 prisoner squats and 50 bodyweight reverse hypers.


For the tournament: I got called to compete while I was watching my wife dominate in sparring and open hand forms, so I showed up cold and hate f**ked my open hand form and scored second place that way. Totally unexpected, as I’m not the “forms” guy, but I think I brought enough skull splitting intensity into it that the judges weren’t really sure what to do with it and just gave me the points.


Sparring was me failing to adapt. It’s no-contact sparring. Homeboy I was going up against kept Mongo punching me square in the shoulder/chest, completely sailing through all my non-contacting techniques. Judges kept giving him points and not me. Shoulda learned a lesson from it, but with my kid there watching, I didn’t want to win that way.


So, completely unexpected turn of events. Chaos, as always, is the plan.

2 comments:

  1. So even your blocks aren't meant to make contact with his limbs and it's on him to know "he's blocking me, I should stop punching through now?" that's pretty weird. I was always confused what the expected intensity was supposed to be for sparring back when I did karate as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, blocks can make contact, and I'm pretty good at shelling up because of that. I still struggle with "no contact" because it's always tough to figure out the rules. I'm the same way with semi-contact sports. Can't find the line on physicality in basketball.

      But whatever: we adapt, learn and live to fight another day.

      Delete