Wednesday, June 16, 2021

 Training Log: Entry 2454


DEEP WATER BEGINNER Week 5, Workout 3


AM WORKOUT (0700) Post night shift


Axle clean and push press away 156
10x10 w/1:50 between sets

50 dips and 25 pushdowns immediately after final rep of final set

Lateral raise dropset (no rest)
21x20lbs
21x10
21x5
21x2.5
21xEmpty hands

20 standing ab wheels
40 reverse hypers

Poundstone curls
169xAxle


Notes: Final reps of all sets of the push presses were tough, but nothing world ending.  I'm feeling speedy these days.  Think all the WODs have helped there.  Feeling a little sluggish from nightshift eating, but otherwise this was a great workout.  Right shoulder is being a little pissy.  Gonna do Grace-ace-e after I wake up from my nap, got Tang Soo Do tonight, and maybe a quickie workout before work as well.  Final night shift of the rotation, then a day off, then off for my trip.


PM WORKOUT 1 (1520) Upon waking


GRACE Echo WOD

30x135 (3:15)

90 second rest

15x135 (1:47)

90 Second rest

7x135 (0:47)


1915 Tang Soo Do Class


1 step defense week. We drilled the hand, kick and break away techniques a TON this class. I was actually getting pretty fatigued from it. Warm up was a little intense as well, and coming off 3 nights and all the training puts me in a pretty fatigued state as it is.


Getting real with myself, my kicks are absolute garbage and I’ve been sleep walking through them. Need to take some time to drill. I’m not a fan of how TSD approaches the sidekick, and it’s most likely my Tae Kwon Do background coming through there. In TKD, we chambered the kick by pulling it all the way back and having the shin parallel to the floor, but TSD raises the knee and leaves the shin perpendicular to the floor, extending the kick from there. Feels like it’s lacking in power. But, again, I’m here to learn.


PM WORKOUT 2 (2100)


Tabata KB snatches w/1 arm alternating swings during the 10 second down time


Notes: Worst performance I’ve had on the Grace WOD in a while, but given that was a legit “roll out of bed and go do the Grace WOD” time, I’m happy with it. I came in hurting from the back workout the previous day and the 100 push presses performed about 7 hours prior. I really dig what I’ve come up with to make it suck more. 90 seconds rest is just about right. I have an idea of basically resting half as long as it took to complete the reps in order to, in turn, get half the reps done, but that was too much math for a dude 3 night shifts deep.


Notes as above for TSD.


Final workout was me running a little late and just wanting to get the blood pumping before I went. One of the benefits of having done so many crazy conditioning workouts is I have a broad base to pick from for “greatest hits” sorta stuff.



My body is absolutely hammered. Food remains the solution, since sleep isn’t a given. The time in the hotel will probably be restorative.

No comments:

Post a Comment