Monday, May 29, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2782

We celebrate today, but it’s also Memorial Day. I opened up with a fasted bodyweight Murph.

Got all the bodyweight work done in 17:17, using 20 rounds of 5 chins, 10 push ups, 15 squats.

Total time was 36:23

After it was done, I ran 1 more lap around my neighborhood (.28 miles), came home and did 5 rounds of 30 KB swings and 20 push ups, so I’d also get in my daily totals of 300 total push ups and 150 swings, with a time of 46:32 for the whole thing.

Ideally, I wouldn’t partition this and I’d wear the 10kg vest, as it’s how I prefer to honor the fallen with this WOD, but today is an interesting balance of solemnity and celebration, and if I can find SOME way to pay tribute, I’m happy with that. This allowed me to get to yes by making Murph move quicker while still abiding by it’s guidelines. I’m also extremely pleased with myself that I legit thought “I’ll run Murph in the morning” before I went to be last night, vs previous years where I had to train for this and it was a significant emotional event. It speaks to the great general physical shape I’m in these days. Tacking on extra work at the end even moreseo.

Quick sum of the rest of day: had half of a apple fritter that was the size of a decent steak, alongside a Metabolic Drive shake as breakfast.


Lunch was a Cheesecake Factory debauchery in all the best ways possible.  I had some Thai Chicken wrap appetizer all to myself, then shared the eggrole sampler, calamari and chicken taquitos between my wife and kid, and a whole slice of low-licious cheesecake for dessert, alongside a few bites of my wife and kid's cheesecake.  Right before the meal, I had a 2 scoop Metabolic Drive shake to make sure I got in enough protein.  After this, I fasted for the rest of the day because I was FULL.  I JUST had 2 egg whites with a half scoop of Metabolic Drive before bed, just to get SOME protein in me, but I'm not sacrificing or being a martyr here: I'm just plain ol full.

I trained a lot more than I anticipated today.  Mrs and I went for a 2.5 mile walk outside (went shirtless, got in more sun), then got in a 13 minute sled/KB workout in the sun (backwards drag, then forward, then carried the KBs all the way down and then all the way back, switching sides, since they were an unbalanced load of 20kg/40kg), then a 1.5 mile walk with the dog and the family later in the evening.

I've decided to pivot on this week of training, since it was memorial day and we did Murph, and given that the week prior was "Ragnarok is Here", I'm thinking this week is "To Valhalla!".  I'm going to take some Hero WODS and make them as Viking as I can.  First stop is Kalsu doing Viking thrusters and burpees, tomorrow.  We'll see how that goes, but I'm excited for this pivot as a psuedo-deload and break between famine and feast.  All for experimentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment