Tuesday, May 30, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2783

AM WORKOUT (0440 wake up via alarm) FASTED

“TO VALHALLA” Week 1, Workout 1 (2?  Counting Yesterday): “Harald Hardrada’s Campaign”



100 Viking Thrusters w/90lbs on the axle, EMOM do 5 burpees onto the handle w/a Viking handle deadlift

Completed inside 32 rounds

OFF CAMERA

15 rounds EMOM of:
* 20 squats
* 20 push ups
* 10 swings w/24kg bel

Notes:

* A Viking take on Kalsu, going with the theme this week, which I’m already going to alter (details on that later in the write up).  Viking handle thrusters, and then Viking burpees.  Viking burpees are burpees onto the handles, then Viking handle deadlift on the top vs a jump.  The “trick” to those is no wasted movement, because these move slower than a traditional burpee due to a little required extra coordination.  And then the Viking thrusters can’t allow any slack either.  This has to be a pretty tight workout to make it all function appropriately, and though it didn’t hit quite as hard as Kalsu (what ever does?) it definitely met the objective for today.

* This was honestly a pretty cleansing workout as well.  Yesterday was a fantastic day of celebration, but after lunch I was DONE eating.  I celebrated big, enjoyed myself and my time with my family, and just flat out did not want to think about food for the rest of my life.  Packing lunch for work was rough, because I didn’t even want to see food.  I actually made dinner and dessert for the family that night, had 2 bites of a 45 calorie hot dog in an attempt to be social and the smallest bite of birthday cake, but it was an outstanding pivot that this wasn’t out of nutritional martyrdom but simply out of being SO goddamn full from a lunch of cheesecake and appetizers.  After fasting the rest of the day (although I still had my wake and shake last night) and into this morning workout, I was sweating pure Crisco and feeling myself coming back to life.  And “sweating Crisco” really isn’t off the mark: my body odor was otherworldly from this.  But it’s pretty awesome, in turn, to see how finely tuned my body is that it is responding to these harsh changes with harsh responses and attempts to purge/cleanse.  After the workout was over, I felt reborn, and meanwhile I can see and feel in my body the benefits of the replenished carbohydrate stores after 2 hard weeks of “famine”.  

* In that regard, the Famine phase is over and this is the bridge between that and the feast, and I’m just such a fan of this phasic approach to nutrition.  I’m going to bloviate more in full solipsistic glory very soon fully fleshing out how I’m eating these days, because it’s really fascinating to me, but in general this approach is making a ton of sense.  

* Little conditioning clean up at the end to hit the daily marks, as I’m gonna keep those up.  Moving the walk to later today.  It’s absurdly humid, and I didn’t want to spend the first part of my work day in soaked work clothes.

* I’m planning on embracing the gimmick of this week, and in that regard, I may move away from Hero WODs specifically.  I feel a bit caddish taking things meant to memorialize others and turning them into a game.  Instead, I’ve got some ideas for some greatest hits that I can making Viking Appropriate.  I’ll jot those down in a bit.

* More animal foods this week.  Upping calories.  Woke up this morning looking absolutely peeled and huge.  Gotta love the carb ups.

2 comments:

  1. It's fascinating that you can look so huge eating so little. Been amazing and just plain interesting to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! I am actually eating quite a bit; just for 4 week blocks. Then 2 weeks of Famine. I am in the middle of writing out the whole thing in detail, but it's been a fun process of discovery

      Delete