Wednesday, May 31, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2784

AM WORKOUT (0420 natural wake up, rougher night of sleep, legit too excited about training to sleep) FED: Wake and Shake at night and Egg Whites in the Morning

**“TO VALHALLA”** Week 1, Workout 2:  “Viking Raid”



* Viking row 20 reps w/25lb on the axle
* 3 keg carry and load w/100lb keg
* Add 5 reps to the row each round
* As many rounds as possible in 40 minutes
* Wear a 10lb vest

I made it through 60 reps of rows, so that boils down to 8 rounds

OFF CAMERA

150 swings, 300 squats and 158 push ups in 10 minutes, going

50 squats-50 swings-50 squats-50 swings-50 squats-50 swings-50 squats-50 push ups-50 squats-50 push ups-50 squats-58 push ups (time’s up, get in the remaining 42, owe 100 more before day is over)

BREAKFAST

Walk kid to school/walk dog for combined 2 mile walk

Notes: 

* This is total LARPING here and I love it. We row to the shores, disembark, steal all their mead, load it onto the boat, and row to the next village to raid. Because we're a raiding party and not a war party, we wear armor, rather than go berserker (bare-shirt). And we have to row further and further to find new places to pillage.

* This is a total keeper.  No question.  Folks: get on the Viking raid.  You can absolutely adapt it as needed.  Ideally, I’d use an actual rower vs the Viking handle, but you could also do barbell rows, dumbbell rows, KB rows, KB swings, etc.  The loading cold be ANYTHING.  I picked the keg purely from a role playing perspective.  No: I’m NOT joking about that.  I got SO into character with this and it made it so fun.  I wish I had a grappling dummy so I could have been taking captives.  But you could just as easily move sandbags (call it grain/feed if you like), KBs, DBs, stones, etc.  The formula is too easy.  And if you don’t have room to carry, simply lading in place or shouldering would do just fine as well.

* My forearms are absolutely torched from the KB farmers I did on Sunday and all this Viking stuff.  Something to watch on.

* I played around with the keg carry style for this workout, and ultimately settled on cross carry shoulder on the way up and horizontal front carry on the way back.  Getting the keg into position on the way up was good cross body stabilization.  Might consider a “waiter’s walk” approach next time with a fully locked keg.

* The vest was a good little cherry on top for the intensity, and another easy to scale variable for this.  It just slowly kills you through out.  Keeping a good torso angle on those rows with it plugging down sucks.

* I think this exact week I’m developing might become a semi-permanent modification to FFF for me.  It’s a solid deload protocol between the two.  But Chaos, of course, is the plan.

TSD was a bust, but I used the extra time/opportunity to mow the lawn out in the sun without the shirt. Really trying to maximize sun exposure, and it seems to be having some benefit.

2 comments:

  1. Besides the Berserker at Stamford Bridge, do you have any other viking figures/leaders you're a particularly big fan of? Realizing I don't know a lot about their actual history but I have read a lot of the Norse Myths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The myths are really pretty awesome, and in turn Beowulf will always be awesome, but as historical Vikings go: dude, get yourself some Orm Stórolfsson! In fact: I shoulda made a workout named after him too, haha.

      Delete