Tuesday, April 18, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2742

AM WORKOUT (0350 natural wake up): FED.  1 scoop of metabolic drive at 0100, and then 1 whole egg and 1 egg white before training


**PLAGUE OF STRENGTH’S “FEAST” ROUTINE** Week 1, Workout 2



Axle Dead Bench superset w/band pull aparts
10x2x276
1x20x166 (wide grip)
1x14x166 (wide grip)

Weighted dips superset w/hanging leg raises
4x6x130
2xAMRAPxBW dips (something like 27 and 20+)
5xAMRAPxBW

Barbell strict press into Band “rope” pushdown into band tricep overhead extension
5x12x95lb (fast reps, no lockout)
5x12/5x12

Time: Sub 1hr 10 min

300 BW squats
300 push ups

BREAKFAST/DRIVE TO WORK

2 mile walk

Notes:

* Gonna highlight the program deviations first and then expand: dead bench was not prescribed: just bench.  No pull aparts RX for this workout.  All supersets/circuits are program deviations.  Band tricep work is supposed to be cables.

* I feel like dead bench meets the intent of this program moreso than a traditional bench.  Pause bench would be close, but this was SO brutal and I’m such a fan of how it turned out.  I should have done a better job of remembering where I had the straps set up, as I spent more time on set-up than I’d care for, but this just hammered the holy hell out of me and did a fantastic job of driving home “eat more food dummy!”   I did my absolute best to let the second rep be as brutal as the first, but you can’t get that stretch reflex 100% away.  Pro tip: I wore a beanie to keep from ripping out the hair in the back of my head every time I got set up on the bench.  The axle is a GREAT choice for dead bench as well, because it doesn’t hurt nearly as much when it makes contact with the straps.  I honestly could just keep writing about this.  I love the lack of technical element to the dead bench: it just suits all of what I am so much.

* Pull aparts, because always pull aparts.

* Dips are almost like my dessert for eating my veggies.  I’m not sure what it is about me that is absolutely built for heavy dipping, but it’s nice to lean into it.  

* I was absolutely gassed getting into the military press.  Original plan was BtN press, but I think I’d have to use an empty bar at that point.  Jamie prescribes short and fast reps for this, no lockout, keep tension on the muscle.  The pushdowns and extensions were just making the most of what I had.  Originally I went wide stance to anchor my feet on the overhead work, but I eventually got it figured out.

* SO happy I got in all the required work for the day before starting work.  It’s awesome when whatever training I have is my choice vs an obligation.  I’d like to get in a weighted vest walk with the dog later, and maybe a short quick conditioning chipper, but I’m done.  In that regard, the mandatory walk has got to be one of the most positive things I’ve introduced into my daily routine.  Jamie is so underappreciated in his genius.

* Finding my way with the nutrition.  Wanted to try a fed session and went with the egg/egg white combo vs my traditional approach of sunflower seed/nut butters.  Trying to see how far down the rabbithole I can chase this carnivore thing.  But also thinking maybe just keep up the Apex Predator and just add more shakes as needed.  I’m doing two meals a day now vs one, and sticking with bone-in/fatty meat in the evening and lean meat with eggs for lunch.  Lean meat is piedmontese grassfed steak tips, eggs are pasture raised whole eggs, because STEAK AND EGGS IS ALWAYS THE ANSWER.  Fatty meat is chicken drumsticks and wings until I run out, and then maybe breaking out the rack of lamb.





* I’m using this first week of the program more as a break-in as far as the “feasting” goes.  I’m very slowly upping calories and intake, just to re-adjust to having food in my guts in general.  But I DO have a plan.  The wife is running a half-marathon on Sunday and the kiddo has been awesome while our lives have been chaos, so we’re going out to a combination Pizza Buffet/Fun-Zone to celebrate.  I’ve been to this place SO many times and always just terrorize the salad bar.  My plan is to actually go, cut loose and enjoy myself.  A real deal celebratory feast for coming out of this famine: working 7 12s in a row straight into a week of 8s, living off shakes and pushing myself to my limit.  Sunday will kickstart the next 2-3 weeks of feasting and growing.  I really love the “story” this protocol tells.  It’s got me totally bought in.


No comments:

Post a Comment