Monday, April 3, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2727

AM WORKOUT (0400 natural wake up/Rough night of sleep)

**PLAGUE OF STRENGTH’S FAMINE ROUTINE** Day 1



*Axle continental and strict press (2 min rest)*
* 3x206
* 3x2x206 (failed final rep of final set going for 3)

*Incline barbell bench (2 min rest)*
* 6xAMRAPx168 (Pretty sure it went 13-8-8-9-9-8)

*Viking press (90 seconds rest)*
* 6xAMRAPx50lbs loaded and 2 light resistance bands, double dropset on last 2 sets
* -Think reps went 12-12-11-10-10-11

*15 minutes arms circuit (15 seconds between supersets)*
* Grenade ball curls w/chains for 8-12 reps (various style curls)
* Cable tricep pushdown w/50lbs for 8-12 reps

*Hanging leg raises*
* 5xAMRAP

Completed in around 75 minutes, then did 100 pull aparts and 20 chins

---

Notes:

* Sleep quality was poor coming in.  Mrs is out of town and my dog can’t cope.  But I was also honestly excited about getting after this, which, in and of itself, it outstanding.  It’s great to be at a place to be excited to train without a real competition to drive it.  This is just so different from what I’ve done before.

* My triceps are carrying a significant degree of soreness for 2 consecutive days of 300 push ups.  I’m excited to see how these adaptations unfold.  Shoulders were a little achy from the conditioning.

* The above having been mentioned, I came into the press with the plan to continental, which made it far more solid than when it accidentally happens.  I MAY have had some 200lb cleans in me today, but missing those when you go for them is just exhausting.  Those continentals were ugly and had zero pop, but that’s what happens when you train first thing in the morning, and I’m good with that.  I loved how effectively I was able to grind out those presses.

* Incline bench needs to be narrower in grip.  When I had it widened out, I’d get some pain in the right labrum, but a middle grip hit just about right.  60% is the loading protocol, and 168 might even be slightly too heavy, but I got in some quality work there.

* I am a big fan of what I’ve come up with on that Viking press.  Only issue is that it’s supposed to be a triple dropset and I’m doing a double, but I can fix that next time.   But that’s just seriously something special, and I can see it staying in the rotating for a while yet.  Loving my new toy.  Thanks Bells of Steel!

*  I am literally dusting off equipment for this program.  Was JUST about to throw away that cable rig. And this is why I follow other people’s programs, because you tell me “arms” and I do 1 set of pushdowns and Poundstone curls.

* I didn’t know I could do hanging leg raises until this very day.  I dig them.  They’ll stay around.

* Realized I forgot the weighted dips.  Will take care of them later


PM WORKOUTS

Came home with just enough time to knock out 300 push ups and 300 bodyweight squats (I am doing prisoner squats, as they feel more natural…what does that say about me?) in 13:48. Best time so far. Turned right around, picked up kid from school, made dinner (Metabolic Drive “oatmeal” for me, as today is a pure shake day), got in my 4 missing sets of dips while I set up the gym for tomorrow’s workout, drove kid to sports practice and got in my 2 mile walk over the rockiest most uneven terrain I could find in 37:27.

Dips shook out to 5x135, 6x135 and 2x5x145. The fact I can rock up to a set of 135lb weighted dips with zero warm up with my hair on fire immediately after eating has me in a good way. I am a big fan od what I am.

These walks may turn into runs, as I have trained for about 2+ hours today. When I can bring the dog and kid along its one thing, but this is a LOT of training. Still: day 1 officially in the books. Already pivots for the week, to include a 10 mile run on Saturday, but

Chaos is the plan


No comments:

Post a Comment