Thursday, April 6, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2730

AM WORKOUT (0400 wake up via alarm) Semi-fasted: 1 scoop protein shake consumed at 0030

**PLAGUE OF STRENGTH’S FAMINE ROUTINE** Day 4 (Technically Day 5, running out of order due to schedule)


*Explosive axle rows* (2 min rest between sets)
WARM UP w/136 and 226

WORKSETS
* 4xAMRAPx296 (Mostly triples)

*Front squat to straps* (2 min rest between sets)
* 6x4x275

*T-bar rows* (90 seconds rest) [minor program deviation: calls for machine rows]
* 4x20x75lbs loaded
* 2x20x75-50-25-axle triple dropset

*20 minutes of chins w/various grips* (30ish seconds between sets)
* 22x5 for a total of 110 reps

*Calf raise/hanging leg raise superset circuit* (program deviation: not written as a superset circuit)
* 5x25x55 calf raise
* 5xAMRAP hanging leg raise

* 300 push ups in under 10 minutes

* 1 mile walk upon arriving at work

Notes:

* I still suck at rows.  No churching it up.  However, Jamie Lewis said they look good on my video, so that's amazing!  I may have had a bit more in me if I was willing to really throw my hips into it, but already it was a circus act.  I’ve contemplated making this a log row for a future workout, since my ROM is already stupid and at least that way the limit can be by design.  On the plus side, my torn tricep/lat is holding up fantastically here.  This was a good test of that.

* I liked that front squat set up.  Going to the straps definitely kept me honest, and the degree of fatigue I was experiencing became readily apparent.

* T-bar rows answered the mail as far as being able to hit a triple dropset, and it really doesn’t take much weight to achieve the effect with sets of 20 here.

* I originally planned sets of 8 on those chins, and immediately realized that my pulling muscles were so exhausted at that point that sets of 5 was enough.  I had a thought of doing this EMOM, which would have netted me 100 total, which seemed paltry in 20 minutes.  110 wasn’t much more of a victory, but proved some sort of point.  Perhaps I’ll try 6s EMOM next time.

* Supersetted those calf raises and leg raises to save time again.  My calves are SO incredibly sore from the previous time.  I’ve absolutely been neglecting them, and I’m sure this focus on them will be beneficial.

* I honestly expected this day to be one of the faster ones, and it’s actually the longest one yet!  Can’t trust how things look on paper.  Barely had time to squeeze in the push ups.  Got in a 1 mile walk before work so I could go walking with my kiddo later today and know I had met the 2 mile requirement, and I’ll get in my 300 squats at some point.  I honestly really dig all the additional requirements of this protocol, as it’s forcing me to get creative.

* Still getting stupidly leaner by the day.  And 300 push ups a day is really getting my upper body tight.

* Wake and shake continues to be a pretty solid thing for me.  I like how I can just roll right into training in the AM.

* Last night, for Tang Soo Do, we broke out nunchucks (nunchaku if you're a pedant).  I couldn't restrain myself: had to bust out my ninja turtle skills.  But otherwise, I was absolutely dead.  Zero pop or drive.  I'm doing a fantastic job driving myself into the ground here.

PM 

Got in a 1.5 mile walk and 300 prisoner squats in under 9 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment