Friday, April 21, 2023

 Training Log: Entry 2745

AM WORKOUT (0355 natural wake up) FED: 1 scoop of metabolic drive with a raw egg at 0045, then some egg whites upon waking

**PLAGUE OF STRENGTH’S “FEAST” ROUTINE”** Week 1, Workout 5 



Log clean and strict press away/band pull apart superset
8x2x200 (first 4 sets done EMOM, remaining with short rests)

Klokov Press/band pull apart superset
5x10x78lbs

Incline swiss bar dead bench/hanging leg raise superset
5x5x195/5xAMRAP

Swiss bar close grip bench
4x6x195

Swiss bar Skullcrushers (rest long enough for plate change)

10x58lbs
8x68
6x78
4x88
2x108
2x118
17x58

FINISH

300 bodyweight squats
300 push ups

BREAKFAST/DRIVE TO WORK

2 mile brisk walk


Notes:

* There really wasn’t’ any way to speed this day along, so I relied on short rest periods.  That EMOM opener was challenging.  Keeping conscious with short rest log cleans was tricky.  Getting through those first 4 sets was a big accomplishment, and now I’ve got a new goal to chase.  Feeling strong.

* I needed Klokov presses in my life and had no idea.  They are fantastically challenging, and a unique “concentric only” pressing approach by catching the eccentric onto the body.  Spot of genius there.  Jamie doesn’t prescribe the pull aparts: that’s my own doing, but it’s brutal to put them together.

* I went dead bench on the inclines because I tend to struggle with that movement out of the j-hooks, but it actually felt pretty solid today.  Moving forward I might go with a more traditional style.  For the hanging leg raises, I used my yoke vs the rack, since the rack was occupied with the incline set-up.  I actually felt like this worked better, and might by the new way forward for me.

* Keeping weight the same for the close grip seemed to work out well.  Swiss bar isn’t prescribed by Jamie, but I liked how it worked for today.  Easy transition from incline to close grip to skull crusher.

* Skull crusher itself is unique.  Definitely some cheating at the end: raising my head to meet the bar.  But it meant I was working hard.

* Got in a great walk before work.  This has been a fantastic addition to my daily routine.  Just gets my head right.

* I was genuinely shocked with how jacked I looked this morning.  Had to refrain from taking another photo.  I said to myself “this is what thriving looks like”.  I am eating the way I need AND the way I like.  Having those two meet has been a rare moment for me.  I am still reeling over how amazing that lamb was last night, and I have the leftovers for dinner tonight.   Steak and eggs for lunch.  I am so dialed in.


For PM activity, I got in a 1.5 mile walk with the dog while wearing the 40lb vest, then an hour of Tang Soo Do.

On the eating like a champ front, dinner was a repeat of last night, which is to say, f*cking fantastic



And I heard my grocery store announce this morning that they were doing a 3 day sale of chicken wings 99 cents a pound

...so...



It was honestly hard to stop at just 3 packages.  That is SO cheap.

I also picked up some grassfed swiss cheese, cottage cheese and sour cream.  It's been amazing rediscovering the simplicity of good food.  Or perhaps that is to say the goodness of simple food.

No comments:

Post a Comment